Supercharged Mini Cooper S Donor?

Which drivetrain to choose, so many choices, 4-cyl? 6-cyl? NA? Turbo?
IslandMoose
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Supercharged Mini Cooper S Donor?

Post by IslandMoose » 01 Jul 2020, 18:01

I have a 2002 Mini Cooper S with the 1.6L supercharged engine and 6 speed transmission. Is this a donor that has been used before with the Midlana?

Drakito

Re: Supercharged Mini Cooper S Donor?

Post by Drakito » 02 Jul 2020, 18:17

I haven't heard of it used, yet. The 02 1.6L supercharged is based on the Neon's 2.0L sohc, but destroked and with forged pistons. It is a bed plate motor, instead of crank caps, so the block is SOLID, but about 1 inch shorter deck height than the 2.0L blocks. That means you can do the neon cams, headers, springs and usually put some serious boost into it with smaller supercharger pulleys. Megasquirt standalone is fairly easy as well as it used half Neon/half BMW electrical. IIRC the coil, crank sensor and cam sensor were all Neon, while everything else was BMW; TPS, IAC, etc.

Factory helical LSD on the 6 speed comp package is a nice plus. The engine and trans combo on those is fairly decent, and with minimal mods, puts out a good amount of power. Bone stock to Bone stock if out powers and out torques a K series. Once you start modding the K series though, it has a much higher limit you can build to compared to the 1.6 S/C.

The only real issue on that engine was the supercharger IIRC. It needed a new coupler and oil every 65 to 100K miles.

I know I built a 6 speed trans and sold one of my old race ported DOHC heads to a 1st gen cooper S guy in the Salt Lake City area. He swapped to DOHC, turbo'd it with a SRT-4 exhaust manifold and neon short runner box manifold, and stuck crane 18's in there. It was fairly insane, around 450whp, until it was stolen around 06 or 07 and found burned out by the Bonneville salt flats.
He never told me what he had to do to get the DOHC head on there.
Drakito just about everywhere online, neons.org, cbrforum, dieselplace, 3800pro, buick forums, HP tuners, Efilive,
Owner of Little Dragon Racing transmissions.
imgur.com/a/PXavC5n <- My Midlana Engine build post link. 300+photos

bgkast

Re: Supercharged Mini Cooper S Donor?

Post by bgkast » 06 Jul 2020, 23:29

I didn't know the Mini engine was based on a Chrysler design. If that's the case I'm doing it's bigger brother, a 2.4 turbo Chrysler. It seems to be a good fit for the chassis, but most FWD Inline 4s should fit fine. If you are keeping the stock intercooler on top of the engine you will need to do something like a roof scoop to feed it cool air.