Interest in Fiberglass Scuttle from Kinetic Vehicles?

Issues, solutions, helpful hints, shortcuts, tools, etc
bgkast
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Interest in Fiberglass Scuttle from Kinetic Vehicles?

Post by bgkast » 10 Mar 2021, 21:42

I'm to the scuttle phase of my build, and the prevailing wisdom from the Locost community is to buy one of you can. While I am confident that I could make one from metal, I have am OK making it easy on myself too.

Kinetic Vehicles offers a scuttle that matches the catfish nose:
https://www.kineticvehicles.com/scuttles.html

The problem is that it has a built-in lip for the windshield, that doesn't lean back far enough to match the Midlana windshield design. I spoke with Jack today and he said he would consider offering a scuttle with no lip, or a perhaps a different lip angle that fits the Midlana, but the break even point for making up new moulds is about 10 parts. I told him that would poll the builders forum and see if there is any interest. We didn't discuss pricing, but his other scuttles run between $199 and $225.

Would any other builders be interested in a prefabricated fiberglass scuttle?

Midlana1
Site Admin

Re: Interest in Fiberglass Scuttle from Kinetic Vehicles?

Post by Midlana1 » 11 Mar 2021, 08:07

Having that would save a lot of time and fabrication, but there are a few things to keep in mind:
1. As you noted, windscreen lean-back angle.
2. The scuttle, if it's one piece, needs to taper forward of the roll cage down tubes.
3. Those same down tubes go through the scuttle, necessitating sections be cut out.
4. How will the wiring behind the dash be accessed? Pretty much, the dash panel has to be removable.
5. The height of the scuttle will likely have to be modified.
6. The radius of the curves on the sides may require modification to match the curve of the nose, but doesn't have to...

bgkast

Post by bgkast » 11 Mar 2021, 11:15

Good points. The curves of the sides should exactly match the catfish nose. The forward taper and height should also be close, and would be adjusted to match perfectly since this will be designed to fit the Midlana. If this happens I will also make sure the dash angle and length of the scuttle work with the Midlana chassis. Jack also offers a two piece scuttle that can accommodate widened chassis. https://www.kineticvehicles.com/superscuttle.html

The trick will be how to do the down tube penetration through the scuttle cleanly. Dash wiring will be access by removing the dash, or from behind like an old VW Bug. With the windshield fixed to the roll cage any scuttle becomes a challenge to remove for easy access.

Bryan

bgkast

Post by bgkast » 03 Apr 2021, 10:27

Well, it looks like I'll be fabricating a scuttle. :lol: