Gear Change Reverse Lock-out

Issues, solutions, helpful hints, shortcuts, tools, etc
steveo
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Gear Change Reverse Lock-out

Post by steveo » 17 Nov 2020, 09:45

Question for Kurt here....

In the book is the excellent design for a shifter. I've had to modify it slightly as the Honda B-Series (S80/Y80) has a single input shaft rather than two input "switches" (for want of a better term). In the Integra a solid shaft links the gearstick to the input shaft which provides fwd/rev and side/side motion. Problem is, when you put the motor behind you the shaft is now hanging out the back......

Anyway, I've come up with a design to solve this that is based on the book design, but whilst studying the book, I noticed there was nothing about a reverse lock-out - i.e. a mechanism to stop you from selecting reverse by mistake when you're moving, usually achieved by pushing down or pulling up on the gearstick, or sometimes a collar under the grip that is lifted up.

So, question.....

Is there one in your design that I missed or did you not implement one and you just throw fate to the wind and hope not to grenade the gearbox by a poor gearchange?

Midlana1
Site Admin

Re: Gear Change Reverse Lock-out

Post by Midlana1 » 17 Nov 2020, 10:15

No there isn't. Since I never owned a car with one, I never even considered it!

Hmm, an interesting design challenge. The easy way, at least for fabrication, is to have a bracket that physically blocks the shift lever from moving over to the Reverse "column." The tricky bit is how to make the bracket easily accessible without pre-planning (having to look down at it before moving into Reverse). I think I'd have a spring-loaded bracket that can be reached with your thumb without looking, lifting it over a stop, and allowing the lever to move to Reverse. Once out of reverse, the spring pushes the bracket back into its rest location.

That said, I've never once attempted to move into Reverse by accident with this K-series transmission, but I will admit that I did try by accident a couple times on Kimini, Midlana's predecessor that used a Honda Prelude drivetrain. So, yeah, the chances of it happening will likely depend on the exact transaxle and the driver's propensity for over-zealous shifting!

steveo

Post by steveo » 17 Nov 2020, 20:07

Interesting!

What shift pattern does the K-series have?

On my B-series reverse is on the same shaft as 5th, so my big concern is changing down from 5th to 4th and getting reverse instead which will be automatic and probably instant disintegration.

The best one I've ever owned was on my old Cavalier Sportshatch (Opel Manta) in the UK which had a collar under the shift knob which you pulled up by pulling the under side of the shift knob up. Very easy and natural.Everything else you pushed the lever down or pulled the whole lever up, which will probably be difficult to build.

HydroJim

Post by HydroJim » 18 Nov 2020, 18:17

I plan to implement reverse lockout on my build. I'm interested to see what you come up with in terms of design. I thought this sliding tab on this gated shifter looked easy enough to implement. The only downside is this would take two hands.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 18 Nov 2020, 21:21

Pulling up a collar below the shift knob with two fingers does seem like the slickest design. It could retract a pin at the bottom of the stick shift shaft that allows it to pass over a "fence" into Reverse. I'll make a sketch tomorrow.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 19 Nov 2020, 12:10

Something like this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steveo

Post by steveo » 19 Nov 2020, 12:13

Yes, I think you nailed it! I’m in the middle of gearshift production so let me see how I can incorporate that!