Moldless composite work

Issues, solutions, helpful hints, shortcuts, tools, etc
bgkast
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Moldless composite work

Post by bgkast » 20 Dec 2019, 14:37

I've been watching Mike Patey's aircraft builds on youtube, and he has done several carbon fiber parts without making traditional mold. The technique is to make a plug, then lay carbon directly over the plug. Depending on the size of the part he then will vacuum bag it, or just squeegee off the excess resin. In his latest video he made an entire skin for a Cub in one piece! The result is not perfect enough to leave raw, but is much faster than making a plug, then a mold, then the part.

I'm toying with doing something like this for my engine cover, since my design has it being a complex shape with fairings behind the seats. The idea would be make a plug with foam, coat it with something hard and smooth and then mold release compound, then lay up on-top of that. Thoughts?

Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Moldless composite work

Post by Midlana1 » 20 Dec 2019, 17:17

I made the airbox for Kimini that way and it was very functional, but not real pretty. It all depends on your shop in regards to ventilation, and your tolerance. Ours is an attached garage, so making a bunch of dust is out due how nasty it is.