Mentally boxing yourself in

Issues, solutions, helpful hints, shortcuts, tools, etc
Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Mentally boxing yourself in

Post by Midlana1 » 13 Sep 2019, 08:49

A coworker sent me this while trying to figure out why something failed, and as funny as it is, it reminded me of something I want to pass on:

When you're trying to figure how something happened, or are mentally composing a list of possible solutions, try hard to think outside the box to not limit your list of causes. Case in point: I come up against a problem and think, "It must be caused by A, B, or C", then force the data into one of those solutions, only to find out later that it was actually "D", and that I was suffering from either conformation bias or selective enforcement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DennisDoesEverything

Re: Mentally boxing yourself in

Post by DennisDoesEverything » 02 Jan 2020, 01:43

It also reminds me of the Car Wizard on his YouTube channel gives the advice "People get hung up thinking because the problem is located somewhere, the solution needs to be located there too. Just because the problem is here, doesn't mean the solution has to be here." He gives the example of a top transmission bolt (RWD) that doesn't afford room for a ratchet. Instead of trying to work in the cramped space by the transmission, he just stacks 4 feet of extensions and operates the ratchet from the location near the rear diff.

My main thought on seeing that was "and THAT'S why I don't own/work on that brand of car." But it is another way of thinking outside the box.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Re: Mentally boxing yourself in

Post by Midlana1 » 02 Jan 2020, 08:54

Along that same line is hearing "the fuse popped, I need another." No, no, no. The "problem" is just the indicator saying that the problem is downstream, yet people fixate on the immediate failure right in front of them.