what's your seats width?

Issues, solutions, helpful hints, shortcuts, tools, etc
DavidIt
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

what's your seats width?

Post by DavidIt » 12 Sep 2019, 09:23

hi,
i'm starting to think about my seats. i read the chapter and how chassis can be changed a little for fit larger seats but i would like to keep original sizes except is really impossbile to avoid it.
as starting point, since i cannot test my seats before order it (not nice, i know.. but no shops where i live) i would like to know what's the maximum width i can fit in a standard chassis.
my seat options are 460mm, 490mm, 510mm and 550mm. i did some sketches in CAD.. and seems only the 460-490 can fit without changes.
i'm 175 by 83-84kg.
any information is welcome)
thanks!
David

Midlana1
Site Admin

Re: what's your seats width?

Post by Midlana1 » 12 Sep 2019, 11:53

I used metal-framed seats which have a very thin covering. There is no side bolstering per se, so the seat as an assembly is no wider than it needs to be. I'm fairly skinny and use a 14"/356mm drivers seat and a 17"/432mm passenger seat. The reason I point out that it's metal-framed is to underscore that it's barely wider than the person that it's holding. This is very different from "real seats" that stick out at least 10cm more on each side.

To get back to your question though, I wouldn't want to install a seat any wider than what I used. In other words, if the base of your seat is wider than the above figures, the car will have to grow in width. That said, this is a perfect example of why I strongly recommend having the major components on hand before the frame is cut. It can make the difference between having everything "just fit", and having to buy new seats or cut up the frame before it's ever driven.

DavidIt

Post by DavidIt » 13 Sep 2019, 05:25

hi Kurt,
thanks for answer.
this morning i investigated Lotus Elise (https://www.sportseats4u.co.uk/shop/rac ... cing-seat/) and Intatrim (http://www.intatrim.co.uk/) seats.
very "slim" because have little or no "hips containment" (not sure are the correct english words).
i also have plans from Rorty for an aluminium seat. https://rorty.net/rorty-aluminium-race-seat
i'm thinking about make a wood/steel prototype ... is 43cm wide. maybe i can lower the hips flaps as for lotus elise seats is too strict.
have a good weekend!
Davuid

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 13 Sep 2019, 14:08

I used JK Composites N3946 http://www.jkcomposites.com/sevens/ and they just fit. I'm a bit of a lard-ass so wanted the biggest seat I could get into a stock layout. That said, my tunnel is slightly wider than book, but not by much. 80mm rather than 50mm.

I didn't weld anything until I had the seats sat on the build table.
Midlana No.2

DavidIt

Post by DavidIt » 29 Sep 2019, 02:25

hi Chris, thanks for the input! this seats looks really nice. do you use the "base mount optional extra"?
i did a little protoype of the Rorty's seats and i can fit (unexpectedly) well. now thinking about make a mild steel version for see and the the real whole thing. i will post pics when ready)
David

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 29 Sep 2019, 06:07

Yep, went with the base mount option. I did buy sliders but in the end didn't use them. Always redundant on the passenger side I think, and I'm going to be the only driver.
Midlana No.2

Sidewinder1018

Post by Sidewinder1018 » 17 Oct 2019, 11:29

I really like these seats, but they don't seam to have a lot of shoulder bolstering. How do they feel to you? Seem to hold you in the seat side to side?

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 18 Oct 2019, 00:30

The JKs? Not tried them in motion yet of course, but just sitting in them, very supportive and very comfortable. Their popularity in the UK Westfield community (and others) prompted me to blag a sit-in test in some cars and I was impressed.
Midlana No.2

Sidewinder1018

Post by Sidewinder1018 » 28 Oct 2019, 12:27

Sorry yeah. The JKs. Being in US trying them would be difficult. I'll have to hunt around while I continue planning. These are definitely a consideration though.