TeamKill's build...

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
TeamKill
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

TeamKill's build...

Post by TeamKill » 19 Feb 2014, 16:32

My buddy Lee has a Locost build in my garage right now where we are fitting body work. His car should be ready for final assembly this summer, which frees up space in the shed for me to start a Midlana. He's been bugging me for a while now to start one with him. I wasn't really inspired until he pointed out this option. Buying the book with my next paycheck. Just figured I'd save a spot now to keep me motivated. I don't like starting something and not finishing it and this to me is starting it.

Build Diary images can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/Q7r5X
Last edited by TeamKill on 17 Aug 2014, 07:45, edited 1 time in total.

bgkast

Re: TeamKill's build...

Post by bgkast » 19 Feb 2014, 17:04

Welcome! Sounds like a good engine to build the car around.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 19 Feb 2014, 18:37

We'll leave the light on for you!

TeamKill

Post by TeamKill » 20 Jun 2014, 19:58

Pics will have to come later, everything my phone takes is over 1mb.

Long time since an update. I literally had to start this build from the beginning. Firstly, I ran 220v to the garage. Then I bought a lot of steel. Then I bought a Saw with lots of coupons.

Basically all the tubing is cut for the floor plan of the frame. Next on the list is some Fiberboard so I can build a table and lay this out. Hopefully have that bought by the first of next month.

Budgeting so far:
$291 - Electricity
$290 - Steel Tubing
$235 - Band Saw

TeamKill

Post by TeamKill » 17 Aug 2014, 19:56

Small update and seeing if the image hosting site works correctly. Link to the entire picture library is at the top in my first post. I wasted a bit more tubing then expected between cutting things incorrectly and wasting 2 bends on learning how to use the tube bender so project is on hold till I order more tubing from Buffalo. at least I had enough to get me to a good stopping point. I am on pace to have the chassis tacked and welded before the first snow.

JohnHancock

Post by JohnHancock » 17 Aug 2014, 22:11

Looks like some real good tube fitting going on there. I like your build.

freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Post by freakynami » 18 Aug 2014, 00:33

Looking good, great progress already :)

How are you finding the cardboard templates for the intersections? Which method did you use to get the template?

bgkast

Post by bgkast » 18 Aug 2014, 16:03

Looking good!

TeamKill

Post by TeamKill » 18 Aug 2014, 17:02

freakynami wrote:How are you finding the cardboard templates for the intersections? Which method did you use to get the template?
www.cycle-frames.com has a java app that lets you make simple shapes and prints out really good templates. For the more complicated ones, I just grind one to fit then trace it with card board and mirror it on the other side. Everything is keeping pretty square so fits right up. I got yelled at for spending too much time in the garage this weekend, so taking a break for the week to get more materials. Only place near by that sells DOM Tubing closes at 4pm. I think I'll be getting *cough* sick *cough* on friday...

TeamKill

Post by TeamKill » 13 Oct 2014, 19:44

Finally settled on an engine from the local U-Pull-It. Hopefully this will not be a bad decision, though for the price, I could blow up three of these and still have spent less than any crate engine or anything off of ebay.

$303 for Ecotec 2.2L with 5spd manual, ECU, Wiring, fuse boxes, engine mounts, push/pull/shifter and a spare ECU off of the neighboring Caviler. Picking it up Wednesday. Hope I can get it running with out much work. Only lead on the car was it was scrapped as a trade in because the subframe rusted through and split in two. Gotta love the salt in western NY.

This will be my winter project...