Steve O's Build

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
Post Reply
ShadowCat38
Posts: 167
Joined: 22 Jun 2015, 10:38
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No
Location: Oklahoma City

Re: Steve O's Build

Post by ShadowCat38 » 21 Feb 2019, 13:25

ChrisS wrote:I had planned on going outboard......but couldn’t come up with an upper mount setup that I was happy with. Mostly down to the resulting angle the damper would be at, but also an element of the test my car will have to pass - onboard solved a lot of issues so I went that way instead. Glad I did.
This has me a bit concerned for now. I had to lift the upper mount as high as I could without causing problems, and it still has a ridiculously aggressive angle between the bottom of the upright and the upper mount. So much so that the calculated spring rate needs to be 600-650 lbs/in as opposed to the nearly vertical application at the rear with all the engine weight only needing a spring rate of about 200 lbs/in. If I couldn't find a spring that stiff, I would have done in-board out of necessity.

ChrisS
Posts: 702
Joined: 25 Mar 2015, 08:08
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No
Location: Worcestershire UK

Re: Steve O's Build

Post by ChrisS » 21 Feb 2019, 14:06

Yes, inboard has more parts and requires a bit more construction, but it is a solution to a lot of issues. The wheel to spring ratio is an almost perfect 1:1 over the entire travel (just a few % off here & there), it looks neat, it keeps the unsprung weight down a bit. The main downside is the angle that the rod end acts at where it meets the lower wishbone. That is quite a way from ideal, but if it does prove to be a wear issue, it's only one joint, and an easily changed one too.

I did briefly look at ways to improve the angle but couldn't come up with anything sensible so took the pragmatic view - it's worked well for Kurt and he has a good few miles on the car without problems with it.

User avatar
steveo
Posts: 184
Joined: 30 Nov 2015, 03:45
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Contact:

Re: Steve O's Build

Post by steveo » 21 Feb 2019, 14:20

I just wanted to cause myself the maximum pain and inconvenience. It worked :lol:

User avatar
steveo
Posts: 184
Joined: 30 Nov 2015, 03:45
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Contact:

Re: Steve O's Build

Post by steveo » 26 Apr 2019, 17:19

Wow! Just realized I hadn't posted for two months! Where did the time go????

Now, I haven't been lazing around doing bugger all, but actually have made slow and steady progress. In fact I made it to my goal for this build season which was to be able to put the wheels on a put the thing on the floor.

So what have I been up to?

First up, finished the front end. As was discussed, the push rod suspension is quite a bit of work, and some fairly fiddly work at that, but the rewards are plentiful. Once it was actually all welded up and done I actually had a "Gosh! I did that!" moment.

Image

Image

Once that was completed it was onto the rear, which actually was quite straight forward. No cock-ups. No re-dos. No "do-overs". Just steadily worked through it and got it done, which is highly unusual for me. Maybe, just maybe, I'm getting better at this fab stuff.

Image

Image

Actually, practice has certainly improved my skills. My ability to measure, put holes where I really want them, and fab the metal to do what I want (rather than what it wants to do!) is definitely improving - just as we come towards the end of the major steel fab work.

I'm rather proud of my rear shock top mounts which came after quite some hours of "how the hell are we gonna do this" introspection.

Image

Now the engine is in it's final place so we're onto the motor and torque mounts. I have to move the B18Bs alternator as it fouls on the rear suspension, but I can re-use the power steering and AC mounting bolts on the other side of the motor for that.

Image

This leaves the alternator mount to now work as a torque mount.

While it looks like the axles are in, these are actually unmodified Integra axles, and they are so close to fitting I could cry, but the bearing's the wrong size.

Image

It's been a good but steady build season, but it hit 100' (38c) for the first time this year today, and working in the garage in the afternoon is rapidly becoming a chore. Goal before I end the season is to have the motor and torque mounts all done.

We'll see....

User avatar
freakynami
Posts: 715
Joined: 23 Dec 2008, 17:53
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Re: Steve O's Build

Post by freakynami » 26 Apr 2019, 19:21

Looking great, as always. Snap on the timing for this latest push!

Your rear upper mount looks very neat and tidy, and deceptively simple.

I think you're radiator might get in your view a bit, and I'd paint it black... :lol:

User avatar
steveo
Posts: 184
Joined: 30 Nov 2015, 03:45
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Contact:

Re: Steve O's Build

Post by steveo » 26 Apr 2019, 19:25

I’m making sure I have adequate cooling for Phoenix summers!

Midlana1
Site Admin
Posts: 2917
Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 16:44
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No
Location: Southern California

Re: Steve O's Build

Post by Midlana1 » 26 Apr 2019, 22:31

Great progress!

Post Reply