Ballpark steel costs?

Issues, solutions, helpful hints, shortcuts, tools, etc
jere
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Ballpark steel costs?

Post by jere » 17 May 2017, 21:28

I know I've read it before ( but can't find it currently) and I know the prices vary a lot depending on how hard a butterfly in Canada flaps it's wings... But just a vague general price please? $200 or $2000 what am I looking at?

freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Re: Ballpark steel costs?

Post by freakynami » 18 May 2017, 03:09

AU$1774.35 / USD1317.65

That is how much I have spend so far for round / square / rectangular tube. All round is 4130 seamless with certificates, all SHS/RHS is 450MPa commercial.

Your results will vary :)

I think I have bought absolutely all of the steel tube required for chassis, suspension (including inboard) and most brackets. I'm sure there'll be a bit more before I get to the end but hopefully not more than another few hundred $$. My chassis is stretched slightly from the book design.

If I'd kept an eye out, had some luck ("scrap" turns up on ebay every now and then), and used lower "quality" product, I guess I could have got that down to around half - but this way worked for me.

jere

Post by jere » 18 May 2017, 18:15

Perfect thanks just the range I was looking for. There are a lot of steel suppliers around my area and scrap yards so maybe I can find some deals thanks for the tip too.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 18 May 2017, 20:07

I didn't publish a price because it'll be such a wide scatter it seemed pointless. If you use surplus material versus certified stuff, the pricing could be as much as 10-20x cheaper. Of course over time everything keeps getting more expensive, another reason to not list specifics.

ShadowCat38

Post by ShadowCat38 » 24 May 2017, 11:08

I think I've spent around $200USD on steel, and most of my framework and suspension is completed. There will be small items here and there, but the vast majority of my expenses now are on manufactured components.

That said, I live in the midwest, and I used almost exclusively 1008 mild steel. It is what the dirt-track racers used in their B-Mods and A-Mods, and they are MUCH harder on their cars than I will be on mine, so it's good enough for me.

I also have not purchased any sheet steel. I know Kurt skinned his Midlana in metal, and he's not a fan (as we're currently learning on the blog) of composite work, but composite is how I'll be building the body of my car rather than sheet metals.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 27 May 2017, 03:38

About £1000 for me (USD$1300). I've over-purchased by a fair amount too as I fully expect to be making a few mistakes...... The extra transport costs and hassle of ordering up small quantities later on if I ran short didn't appeal and I'm sure I can find uses for any leftovers.

I've used CDS in a few places where it probably isn't really needed, and cold formed pretty much everywhere, else but a bit of extra strength can't hurt and the price premium wasn't all that great in the grand scheme.

jere

Post by jere » 05 Aug 2017, 07:13

ShadowCat38 wrote:I think I've spent around $200USD on steel, and most of my framework and suspension is completed. There will be small items here and there, but the vast majority of my expenses now are on manufactured components.

That said, I live in the midwest, and I used almost exclusively 1008 mild steel. It is what the dirt-track racers used in their B-Mods and A-Mods, and they are MUCH harder on their cars than I will be on mine, so it's good enough for me.

I also have not purchased any sheet steel. I know Kurt skinned his Midlana in metal, and he's not a fan (as we're currently learning on the blog) of composite work, but composite is how I'll be building the body of my car rather than sheet metals.
Holy snikies that's cheap, what size tube are you using? Round or square? Whats the weight difference?

I've played around with composites too, I am leaning towards sheet metal, from the engine donor and possibly coroplast. I have been setting up for sheet metal forming for a few years and rather enjoy the artist side to it.

Sorry I just realized the other day I wasn't auto subscribed to my own posts so missed out on these other replies.

ShadowCat38

Post by ShadowCat38 » 06 Aug 2017, 03:13

jere wrote:Holy snikies that's cheap, what size tube are you using? Round or square? Whats the weight difference?

I've played around with composites too, I am leaning towards sheet metal, from the engine donor and possibly coroplast. I have been setting up for sheet metal forming for a few years and rather enjoy the artist side to it.

Sorry I just realized the other day I wasn't auto subscribed to my own posts so missed out on these other replies.
Square 1.5" x 11ga ERW
Round 1.5" x 11ga ERW
and a small amount of some other sizes Kurt mentioned in the book.

The place I bought this from was some sort of Amish/Mennonite weld shop that specialized in catitle feeders and panels, but we're known to provide materials to all the farm dirt track racing teams in the area. As such, they ignored my request for specific dimensions, like thickness and DOM instead of ERW, and got me what the dirt track racers use, presumably because they assumed that was what I was doing. They also only took cash or check, and we're about 50 miles from the nearest town with 20,000 people or more.

jere

Post by jere » 06 Aug 2017, 05:05

ShadowCat38 wrote:
jere wrote:Holy snikies that's cheap, what size tube are you using? Round or square? Whats the weight difference?

Square 1.5" x 11ga ERW
Round 1.5" x 11ga ERW
and a small amount of some other sizes Kurt mentioned in the book.

The place I bought this from was some sort of Amish/Mennonite weld shop that specialized in catitle feeders and panels, but we're known to provide materials to all the farm dirt track racing teams in the area. As such, they ignored my request for specific dimensions, like thickness and DOM instead of ERW, and got me what the dirt track racers use, presumably because they assumed that was what I was doing. They also only took cash or check, and we're about 50 miles from the nearest town with 20,000 people or more.
Very interesting, but also a frustrating situation. I live close to a larger steel supplier so hopefully I won't get too much grief from them when my time comes.

I really like some of the possibilities much cheaper steel presents. It could bump the timeline up on a budget build or just be good for building a race car trailer.

ShadowCat38

Post by ShadowCat38 » 09 Aug 2017, 07:46

I thought about that. Unfortunately, I've moved since that first steel purchase, and I haven't found a good, equivalent source near me yet. Maybe I'll find something soon, but I don't think I'll have the same low-cost access that Iowa provided.