Engine choices

Which drivetrain to choose, so many choices, 4-cyl? 6-cyl? NA? Turbo?
ninjawog
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Engine choices

Postby ninjawog » 29 May 2013, 22:31

kurt, i know its already been ruled out, but do you know how much the wrx engine/trans package wouldnt fit by?

dont have a car myself that i could measure, and the interwebnet is... well... useless... i know width wouldnt be an issue for midlana, but do you know what the length is of the wrx drivetrain?

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 30 May 2013, 07:17

The issue (for a "seven" style car) is the amount of driveline extending aft of axle centerline. While you can always make it work, it'll require significant styling changes. What's especially striking is how the crank is at the center (12" up) the engine assembly. Everyone says that Subaru's are great because their CG is so low, but it's not as low as it would seem.

Canadian_Aeros

Postby Canadian_Aeros » 21 Jul 2013, 13:46

Hello All,

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but an interesting drivetrain choice could be the inline 5cyl from volvo.
These have been used in many of their vehicles from the mid 90's onwards, and seem to be reliable and available.
it ranges from 2.3 to 2.5 litres, but the ideal one would be the 2.4 from the 2004 - 2007 S60R, at about 300 horses stock.
Unfortunately, I've had no luck finding any kind of dimensions or weights (Typical eh?) but they are an aluminium block, head, and intake, so probably reasonable.

I'll be digging around for some sizing info, but it looks promising so far. The only standing issue is that the intake is on the rear, exhaust on the front.
Thanks for your input/corrections!

Theo

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 21 Jul 2013, 15:37

The intake on the back isn't such a bad thing... I've had to remove my forward-side intake manifold about five times to access things below it, which kinda sucks. If it were on the rear, maintenance would be a breeze.

Canadian_Aeros

Postby Canadian_Aeros » 27 Jul 2013, 10:08

I just got the following info for the Volvo 5 from a mechanic friend:

"Just happen to be working on a 5 cyl Volvo. From the timing cover to end of distributor cap approx 27", from exhaust manifold to intake manifold approx 24", from bottom of oil pan to top of valve cover approx 22". This is a turbocharged engine, 2.4L. "

this is without the transmission, but it seems useable!

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 27 Jul 2013, 10:24

That would be a pretty sweet plug-and-play solution for good power right out of the box. All the problems I've been having have been self-induced due to me turboing the Honda. (I'm not sorry I did it; it's just a natural consequence of making such big changes to the drivetrain.). The chassis and suspension have had no issues at all.

The only issue I'd be concerned about with the Volvo drivetrain is modifying or replacing the ECU. Since much of the emissions system will be removed the ECU could turn into your enemy instead of your friend.

What's it make for power? I know in Europe some guys are getting crazy power out of them.

Canadian_Aeros

Postby Canadian_Aeros » 27 Jul 2013, 16:34

The power varies a lot by which year and model it's from exactly, but from what I can tell it's mostly because of a different ECU
The only parts that might be different are intercooler, injectors, and maybe a slightly different turbo, but there are 3 different displacements available (2.3, 2.4, and 2.5 litres)
The S60R has the highest power, quoted as 296 hp, but it only comes in 4wd and could be difficult to track down. The ideal engine code is B5254T4 (benziene, 5cyl, 2.5 displacement, 4 valves, turbo model 4)
This engine also comes in the v70, xc70, etc, but with slight changes in displacement and turbo pressure.
In the higher end " T5 " vehicles from 2001-2008ish, there's between 247hp (the 2.3 litre) or 256hp (2.4 litre)

Tacklebox75

Postby Tacklebox75 » 20 Dec 2013, 06:14

Kurt,

I think I've finally decided on a k20/k24 'Frank' motor with water meth and a rotrex supercharger. The rotrex kit I'm looking at mounts where the a/c compressor used to live. I know you used a delete kit for it and ps pump, but is it likely to create any packaging/clearance issues in that location?

I'm also considering an intake manifold that has the throttle body mounted centrally in an 'updraft' orientation. How much room is there for a larger intake?

Thanks!

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 20 Dec 2013, 08:30

Every one of these cars will be custom - building the car around the drivetrain. I highly recommend having it sitting on the build table before laying down steel, because only that way can interferences be avoided.

As for clearances on my car, there's about 1/2" between the intake manifold and the firewall, but than again, I leaned my engine forward somewhat. If it's leaned back at all (in more of a stock orientation), I don't think you'll have any problems - though I don't know how big the Rotrex housings are. You may have to relocate where the coolant header tank is, though. As for headroom, there's roughly 8" above my IM to the engine cover. (Of course, if you have ideas for your own engine cover, you can add more height there.)

Tacklebox75

Postby Tacklebox75 » 20 Dec 2013, 17:35

Is there an advantage to leaning the engine forward? How much is it tilted?

Return to “Drivetrain selection”