Kurt Bilinski's build

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Kurt Bilinski's build

Post by Midlana1 » 17 Nov 2009, 17:04

The reply from DSS is that what I have "will be fine", since the issue they had only applies/applied to Honda outboard CV assemblies. Midlana uses Miata outboard assemblies, so that means everything's wonderful... guess I'll be the first to know!

Just sent off the turbine housing to be thermal coated. Not a real necessity, but seeing a big rusty turbo does wonders to make people go, "Ewww, getto."

jerelw

Post by jerelw » 18 Nov 2009, 04:40

Re: the catch can...
I had a friend years ago who bought a nationally competitive F Production (SCCA) Midget. The original owner made a catch can from a rectangular can (about a pint?) he probably got at a hardware store. For an air filter, he had cut a hole in the side of the can that would face up and covered the hole with that mesh they use for stovetop vents. The hose fittings were brazed on. Worked great.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 18 Nov 2009, 06:08

Something like a metal candy box with a press-on lid... Walls just need to be thick enough to not deform from the hose torque.

loogy

Post by loogy » 19 Nov 2009, 11:29

http://www.futurepkg.com/shop/index.php ... &cPath=175

A reinforcing disk of thicker aluminum could be used under the lid if need be. Same with the drain in the bottom. Just a thought!

loogy

Post by loogy » 19 Nov 2009, 11:40

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produc ... RecID=4703

The vessel itself kind of small and the fittings are too small to use, but that would be easy to change. At the price, you could run two of them.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 20 Nov 2009, 12:46

Swain Coatings confirmed they received the turbine housing. Unfortunately it probably won't be back before the car's ready to start - three and a half week turn-around? I thought there was a recession on, companies sitting around doing nothing... I guess they are, so they lay everyone off, then when something comes in, the backup is even worse than when they were fully-staffed :?

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 21 Nov 2009, 15:35

Picked up Earl's plumbing parts for the remote oil filter assembly, in anticipation of starting the car in the not too distant future.

While in the store, a guy was talking to the clerk about his NOS purge plumbing, mentioning he was going to add LEDs to light up the spray as it shoots up the windshield... :roll: Whatever...

justin.s.gray

Post by justin.s.gray » 21 Nov 2009, 17:50

LEDs = 10 hp each!!! So do vinyl graphics. Stickers are 3 hp each.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 21 Nov 2009, 17:55

Actually... since the car is a rolling ad for the book, I'm seriously considering a couple large vinyl stickers with "www.midlana.com" on them...

Right now I'm feeling drawn toward some combination of metallic gray and lime green... something that photographs well. Of course next week it'll be something else. Color is such a big deal with cars, and each car type has different "correct" colors.

emgr3

Post by emgr3 » 22 Nov 2009, 19:33

Midlana1 wrote: While in the store, a guy was talking to the clerk about his NOS purge plumbing, mentioning he was going to add LEDs to light up the spray as it shoots up the windshield... :roll: Whatever...
That's mad tyte y0! :D