Fuel level sensor

ECUs, lighting, alternator, starter, dash instruments, etc., we'll figure it out.
bugeyebug
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Parts list and suppliers

Postby bugeyebug » 19 Feb 2009, 09:58

Kurt-
What is the manufacturer and/or part-number of the capacitive-type fuel sending unit you mentioned today in the diaries? I've never heard of this type of device and would like to know more...
-Mark

Midlana1
Site Admin

Fuel level sensor

Postby Midlana1 » 05 Mar 2009, 18:36

I'm using this one: http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=2524

The big advantage is that it has no moving parts, no float to hang up or hit the internal baffles. It's really small (about 1/4" for the probe portion, and the best part is it has adjustments for "Empty" and "Full."

The not-so-good news is that you must make to order the version compatible with the guage you're using; not all sensors work with all guages. The other thing is that they're expensive, around $150-170. This is the same type we use in our aircraft, very, very reliable.

RossDinan6

Re: Fuel level sensor

Postby RossDinan6 » 03 Jan 2010, 19:04

I have dealt these senders for years in marine applications: http://www.centroidproducts.com/ They could be the manufacturer of the ones referenced. They are available in inch increments unlike the Pegasus units (not that cutting is a big issue). They have proven to be quite reliable.

On edit: Also, they can compensate for tank shape. This might be nice for the significant taper in the tank design.

Ross

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 03 Jan 2010, 19:35

How can they compensate for tank shape? Seems like the only way would be able to enter an mx + b equation, which the ones I've used don't have. Unless you mean the controller box in the link you supplied... I'm not sure how practical that is for auto use.

RossDinan6

Postby RossDinan6 » 04 Jan 2010, 18:55

I wish I could tell you how the compensation works. I assume the tank shape is required at the time the sender is ordered. With an algorithm in the electronics I suspect compensation would not be too difficult. There is a difference between an off the shelf X" long sender and an X" long sender I buy for a specific boat builder's fuel tank.

Weather it matters for most applications, who knows? The "big half" of your tank is the bottom. The "big half" of a boat's keel tank is the top. One figures out how the gauge acts over time.

Ross
A tech, not an engineer.

Return to “Electrical”