Dash instruments, gauges and flat panels

ECUs, lighting, alternator, starter, dash instruments, etc., we'll figure it out.
butterball

Re: Dash instruments, gauges and flat panels

Postby butterball » 11 Mar 2009, 12:51

Are you using the CAN protocol to connect the display/Logger?

I'm not familiar with Race Logic equipment, but I know the AIM clusters will receive & display sensor information directly through the CAN line output of the K-pro (making for simple connection).

Also, as another option, there is www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com. I think their display product is called D200 (their site is death slow).

Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Postby Midlana1 » 11 Mar 2009, 13:17

While the CAN bus is used in newer cars it isn't used by the Hondata/Honda/Acura KPro ECU, which is used in 2004-2006 (I think) RSX-S models.

While Race Tech does sell CAN ECU adaptors I ordered their standard serial data ECU converter for the above ECU. Unfortunately it assues a DB-9 serial connector while the Hondata ECU has a USB connecter on it. Not impossible to interface with but annoying.

Beware of aftermarket dashes pushing the CAN bus. What they conveniently forget to tell you is that unless you already have CAN-compatible sensors, they'll cost $200-300 each, which they just happen to sell, too... You'll easily spend $1500 on sensors along, no thanks.

I watched their video. A screen full of numbers doesn't convey information to the driver very well. Great for datalogging maybe. The one I have has a bunch of alarm settings, which I'm counting on to flag a problem without having to examine 6-8 numeric values constantly. Make sure to compare this one to the others for features vs. cost.

butterball

Postby butterball » 11 Mar 2009, 13:38

I was reading a thread on K20a.org a while ago (can't find it now, but I will keep looking) referencing one wire sensor data communication connection (plus power and ground etc...) when using an AIM Display. The connection comes off of one of the ecu connectors, If i remember correctly. I believe it's called the K-line. You're right though, it isn't a CAN communication protocol, it is a serial communication protocol. I'll see if I can find that thread.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 11 Mar 2009, 13:43

Is "K-line" a propriatary trade name or an existing serial data standard used by OEMs? If it's the flat panel makers own in-house serial interface standard it means being locked into them to buy sensors. Make sure to check their sensor pricing before going further...

butterball

Postby butterball » 11 Mar 2009, 13:52

I believe that would be a Honda serial data standard - that AIM clusters are made capable of interpreting. I'm not sure about other OEM's.

butterball

Postby butterball » 11 Mar 2009, 14:33

Alright, I found the thread:

http://k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t= ... re+cluster

It looks to be a Hondata serial communication standard - that the AIM cluster is capable of interpreting.

As another really inexpensive display, there's the Neptune Tunerview that is KPro compatible. You can upgrade and daisy chain displays together to display different data parameters. Very inexpensive.

http://www.hrtuning.com/pages/37

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 13 Apr 2009, 12:51

Beware of the new flatscreens coming out that use CAN-based sensors. Sure, the flatscreen might have a nice price, but do your homework first for an entire system - one that includes sensors. Like I said above, the entire system can easily be more expensive than one using traditional analog sensors.

Rangeball

Postby Rangeball » 15 Apr 2009, 05:26

I did not seen anyone post anything about DashDAQ. http://www.dashdaq.com/index.htm Could be another alternative.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 30 Jun 2009, 19:47

Dennis Palatov (dpcars.net) is selling a spa dash on ebay if anyone's interested. No connection other than being an internet buddy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270418589082

NorthNorm

Postby NorthNorm » 24 Sep 2009, 06:55

Just read your latest diary entry on dash layout and thought I'd suggest you consider welding in a steel dash at this point. Doing so would solve the paint cracking problem your friend mentioned and it might add considerable rigidity to the cowl structure.

As for the color issue - if you don't want it to be the same as the frame, just mask the instrument and glovebox area and reshoot whatever color you want after the fact - how hard could that be?

Return to “Electrical”