Making it run

ECUs, lighting, alternator, starter, dash instruments, etc., we'll figure it out.
stankoprowski
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Making it run

Postby stankoprowski » 31 Dec 2012, 07:57

Kurt,

It's probably late in the game to be asking book questions, but. I was in mechanical design all my working career and my mechanical skills are adequate but carburated. Beyond basic DC circuits I get lost and I'm not sure where I would go for advice here in Mexico. I've followed Midlana and Kimini before and it seems that your choice of engines/ECUs had loads of support online and certainly within your skill-set. Will the Midlana book shed any light on making a Honda or non Honda engine/ECU work in a new home or could you recommend a comprehendible(?) book on the subject. I have a large design oriented library and wouldn't object to adding another book or two if it will help me understand this issue. Even if I couldn't fix it maybe I could trouble shoot and ask the right questions.

Thanks,

Stan

Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Making it run

Postby Midlana1 » 31 Dec 2012, 22:52

Have you seen this? That's all the wiring you need. See the links below.
http://www.hondata.com/help/kmanager/index.html
http://www.hondata.com/techk20wiring.html

stankoprowski
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Postby stankoprowski » 01 Jan 2013, 07:41

So this Honda information is universal? If I did a project I would lean toward economy rather than performance. I don't see where the Smart car does anything particularly well but here in Mexico there are 1 liter engine packages available. We have the Hyundai/Atos from Dodge and the Daiwoo/Matiz from Chevrolet. If the project ran long enough perhaps the new small engines from Ford or Fiat might be available. Are you saying that if I applied your Honda information to, say, a Matiz installation it might work. Sorry if I seem retarded but I've been retired for 15 years and I as I said electronics has always been magic to me.

Thanks for your help,

Stan

Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Postby Midlana1 » 01 Jan 2013, 10:26

I'm afraid not, each engine type will have its own unique wiring arrangement.

What you do is buy the factory manual for the drivetrain that you've selected. In it will be many pages of electrical drawings and you have to go through it page by page and figure out what needs to be connected and what doesn't. Fortunately for us, about 80% of the wiring is no longer needed because we don't have all the luxury electrical items - all we care about is getting the ECU running. A compromise would be to find drivetrains that other people have already swapped into project cars - they'll have figured it out already and perhaps can send you their wiring diagrams.

Regardless what drivetrain you select, you need to research it up front to determine what kind of built-in (if any) security setup it has. Some new ECUs demand a coded key (and ignition switch) that must match - without which it will not start. It means either obtaining the drivetrain together with the entire harness and ignition switch (recommended in any case) or confirming before you buy anything that the dealer can disable the key code. If not you'll have to use the special ignition switch meant for that car, or replace the entire ECU with an aftermarket unit.

All this needs to be researched upfront before you spend any money... like... now. People keep pestering me about when the book will be done but they don't seem to understand that there's a lot they can be doing right now, and drivetrain selection is the big one.

Return to “Electrical”