Painless wiring connectors

ECUs, lighting, alternator, starter, dash instruments, etc., we'll figure it out.
xero_xero
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Painless wiring connectors

Postby xero_xero » 15 May 2010, 15:50

I know Kurt has the answer to this one. Are there any great connectors that are weatherproof and works well with enough variations to suit each connectors needs?

how has everyone prevailed on the front of a universal wiring kit?

below is one pic, though i have a few pics of a painless connector and was wondering the best supply shop for connectors regardless of type.

Everyone here is building One for themselves... I want to build thousands for everyone....

Midlana1
Site Admin

Re: Painless wiring connectors

Postby Midlana1 » 15 May 2010, 17:57

The connector above ("circular connector") are the top-of-the-line way to do interconnects. Unfortunately they're also about the most expensive. The connectors themselves are about $50-$100 each, but the real problem is getting the AMP pins properly crimped. AMP makes hand-operated crimpers, but at $400+, it's a bit much for us home-builders.

At the moment I'm entertaining the use of "Weather-pack" connectors. Not nearly as sexy but at least they're affordable... http://www.weatherpack.com/

xero_xero

Postby xero_xero » 16 May 2010, 10:03

do you think the weather pack will hold up to all of the heat conditions most engine compartments put off?

any other connector types you are entertaining?
Everyone here is building One for themselves... I want to build thousands for everyone....

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 16 May 2010, 11:22

I haven't had to go down that road yet. So far, I haven't needed a single connector in the engine compartment area, since the existing harness handles everything. I will need a couple connectors further forward, but up there, heat's much less a problem. So to answer your question directly, no, but I'll probably stick with the weatherpack connectors, just because they're widely available and not too expensive. They are kind of large though, but oh well.

Oh, and I did use one circular connector - for the dash interconnect.

xero_xero

Postby xero_xero » 16 May 2010, 18:33

and you are using a k20 correct? is the k20 harness a 2 piece desing like the prelude harness? all integra and most civics are a 2 piece design.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 16 May 2010, 20:32

K20 harness, yes. In my case, there's just the ECU connectors and that's it, wired straight to the engine sensors. I had to come up with the third ECU connector "E", but everything is straightforward, if a little tedious.

xero_xero

Postby xero_xero » 20 May 2010, 19:56

civics 95 and down, along with all accords 01 and down have a 2 piece design. it may be helpful to add those connectors, to make it similar to the h22, and to make it easier for removal and installation.

and the e connector you were referring to, i had to source it as well about a year ago. had to refer to pics to remember what it controlled.

Return to “Electrical”