ECU placement

ECUs, lighting, alternator, starter, dash instruments, etc., we'll figure it out.
Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: ECU placement

Postby Midlana1 » 07 May 2010, 06:34

I'll be adding an open-bottom cover, in addition to running a bead of silicon seal around the ECU lid and connector shells. The USB connector on top will have a fitting rubber plug.

xero_xero

Postby xero_xero » 09 May 2010, 09:06

The rubber plug is your best bet along with a nearly sealed glove compartment area with miniature blower. i wouldnt agree with the bead of silicone. your ecu does warm up and needs to breathe a bit.

another option is something similar to the dielectric grease or mineral oil.

they submerge the ecu in mineral oil and seal the unit in an adequate sized container (about 60% larger than the ecu) and it keeps it quite cool. you can seal the unit and have no problems. it is a bit extreme.
Everyone here is building One for themselves... I want to build thousands for everyone....

midnight garage

Postby midnight garage » 18 May 2010, 11:37

Indeed the best way will probably be the open bottom cover and the rubber plug on the USB connector.
Sealing it will indeed be a potential cause for temperature problems.
I checked the web, especially at the off roaders forums; they often use "pelican boxes", but that is an expensive trick !! And even then you have to create an opening for the connector coming in. Go for the open bottom cover, and see how it works out....

ekim952522000
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Postby ekim952522000 » 18 May 2010, 11:57

I think you guys are really over thinking this, The ecu will be fine where he has it mounted. We have had them bolted to the fire wall of hot racecar engines many times and never had a problem. Build the little box you are planning to to keep rain out, Kurt, and you will be good to go.
Mike Uhlinger
Midlana Beta Builder
Northern California

xero_xero

Postby xero_xero » 14 Jun 2010, 16:16

place it where you would like. there are plenty of little storage areas not ass susceptible to moisture.

as for lengthening the harness, here is your best bet.

http://lightningmotorsports.com/i-269502.aspx

Everyone here is building One for themselves... I want to build thousands for everyone....

Return to “Electrical”