Be prepared to deal with "checkboxes"

Make sure it'll be streetable Before building it! Registration, smog checks, safety tests, and insurance. Discuss what it takes to get a Midlana on the road.
Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Be prepared to deal with "checkboxes"

Post by Midlana1 » 12 Feb 2013, 07:54

Getting a homebuilt car insured can be an exercise in frustration. Not necessarily whether you can get insurance, but the actual process itself. The trouble is that the car doesn't fit any of the insurance companies' checkbox forms that they're filling out on their screen when you're on the phone.

For example, I was asked to provide a Bill of Sale - I said it doesn't exist because I built the car. They asked what chassis the car is built upon - none. They asked for a "build sheet" and I said there is none. They asked for a Manufacturers Statement of Origin - there is none. They asked for an appraisal value - how does one assign a value to a one-off assembled from a pile of metal bits. Then they asked, "well, don't you have a friend or know someone at a motorcycle shop who can give you an idea of its worth?"

Um.... no. Apparently they never bothered to read what I sent in or even look at the pictures... Anyway, just be prepared for a general lack of understanding about you having build a car from scratch.

Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Be prepared to deal with "checkboxes"

Post by Midlana1 » 12 Feb 2013, 13:05

Also, and probably more important, is that the car is turning out to be tough to get insurance for because it's a one-off. Already I'm seeing that if it was a kit car and had some sort of Certificate of Manufacture, it would be an easier go.

Mental note to self: I'll come up with some sort of "official certificate" to send to people to help them get it through insurance and registration - even if the fact is that the builder was the manufacturer.