SB100 - California only

Make sure it'll be streetable Before building it! Registration, smog checks, safety tests, and insurance. Discuss what it takes to get a Midlana on the road.
Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: SB100 - California only

Post by Midlana1 » 02 Mar 2010, 14:48

I have not contacted them but my brother went through the process.

He built a Super Stalker and used a 2004 L67 Buick LeSabre engine. No emissions, no cat, no smog pump. All they care about is the exemption number you have. That, and answering the question, "Do you want to register this so you don't need a smog test?" Um, yes!

Jagmandave

Post by Jagmandave » 16 Mar 2010, 10:09

This might be of interest......

ASSEMBLY
CALIFORNIA LEGISLATURE
KEVIN JEFFRIES

March 8, 2010

Thank you for contacting me regarding your interest in AB 1740, a bill which would delete the current 500 ‘kit-car’ limit on the number of specialty constructed vehicles that can be registered in the state on an annual basis. Our bill would delete this limit, and instead require the Department of Motor Vehicles to register any car that meets specified criteria. This issue is a particular interest of mine, having grown up around custom cars as the son of Dean Jeffries and being an automotive enthusiast to this day.

AB 1740 will be heard in the Assembly Transportation Committee on Monday, March 22, at 1 PM, in Sacramento, CA. Because it is a public hearing, any member of the public can testify and express support or opposition of the bill. Traditionally, the committee chair gives the support and opposition of the bill approximately three minutes total to speak. After these three minutes are up, additional interested parties can register support or opposition, for the public record, by stating their name, affiliation and whether they support or oppose the bill. We will have a designated witness or two to testify on our behalf, so our best course to influence the outcome of the bill is to write letters, make phone calls and contact members of the committee prior to the hearing.

We would encourage you to write letters, send faxes and make phone calls to the Transportation Committee consultants, and to the Assembly members who sit on the committee, which I have listed below. I do not believe we will have any problem getting Republican members of the committee to support the bill, but it is critical to contact the Democratic members of the committee to let them know how important this bill is to you. Please feel free to share your story (what kind of car you have—or wish you had—and what kind of events you drive it to), with a call, e-mail or letter, in order to try and persuade them to support AB 1740. At a minimum, everyone (and every club) should write a letter to the Chairman of the committee and/or the committee consultants.

It is especially helpful if you actually live within the district of one of these members. Furthermore, if you have friends, or know of other car clubs that do live in the districts represented by the members of the Transportation Committee, I would encourage you to let them know about this bill as well. Please note that the “official” deadline for having your support registered in the official committee analysis is Tuesday, March 16. All communications should be received by the Assembly Transportation Committee at that time.

Assembly Transportation Committee- (ph) 916-319-2093 (fax) 916-319-2193
Address: Assembly Transportation Committee, State Capitol, Sacramento, CA 95814

STATE CAPITOL
Room 5128
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 319-2066
FAX (916) 319-2166

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 16 Mar 2010, 10:57

Yes I saw this, though so many of these bills get shot down I'm trying not to get too excited. However, between protecting the environment, and increased State income - especially now - this might have a chance of getting signed.

Jagmandave

Post by Jagmandave » 16 Mar 2010, 11:51

The Hot Rodder's (who have a similar problem getting their cars registered) are getting behind this one, especially since it's Dean Jeffries' (legendary custom car builder) son that is leading the charge.....

Doesn't affect us much here in the great flyover, but often times what's good for California.....

dm2play

Post by dm2play » 17 Mar 2010, 18:34

He built a Super Stalker and used a 2004 L67 Buick LeSabre engine. No emissions, no cat, no smog pump. All they care about is the exemption number you have. That, and answering the question, "Do you want to register this so you don't need a smog test?" Um, yes!
Still haven't been able to get thru to anybody at a referee or bar. What I'm trying to find out is if grey market(jdm) or limited edition (Like a cosworth) engines are legal. Keep hearing it has to be a US block.

In AB1740 wonder why they want to remove the word annually from 44017.4. (c)

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 17 Mar 2010, 19:05

From everything I hear you can use anything you want. People use sportbike engines all the time, and they don't "belong" in cars, yet pass no problem.

lotus19

Post by lotus19 » 17 Mar 2010, 21:35

Midlana1 wrote:From everything I hear you can use anything you want. People use sportbike engines all the time, and they don't "belong" in cars, yet pass no problem.
Or a jet engine... http://www.ronpatrickstuff.com/

buyos1717

Post by buyos1717 » 22 Mar 2010, 23:10

Considering that your car could be unfinished when registering, when do they do the street legal check? Do they have a checklist or something?

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 23 Mar 2010, 06:02

Typically the police do the safety check, but what usually happens is the guy asks you, "Does everything work?" and that's the end of it. Of course if you get a stickler he may check out everything, but when my brother went through the process he said it was a non-event.