Using a current model car?

Make sure it'll be streetable Before building it! Registration, smog checks, safety tests, and insurance. Discuss what it takes to get a Midlana on the road.
ekim952522000
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Using a current model car?

Post by ekim952522000 » 29 Dec 2008, 08:46

So Kurt I remember on kimini you said you registered it as a highly modifed mini cooper. Is there any reason I could not buy a older car register it in my my name slap the vin numbers on Midlana and call it a high modified version of say a Datsun 240Z? Isn't this what you basically did with Kimini?

<----Iooking for a loop hole to make this easier
Mike Uhlinger
Midlana Beta Builder
Northern California

Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Using a current model car?

Post by Midlana1 » 29 Dec 2008, 10:22

That's what I did... and if you ask any CHP if it's legal to do so they'll say absolutely not. What I had going for me is that Kimini still looked like a Mini. Doing the same with a 240Z isn't nearly the same thing since Midlana looks nothing like it, and the engine's at the other end. Getting it insured could be interesting, tying to convince the agent it's a Z car.

Getting an old VW would be closer in nature to what it appears to be due to its rear engine.

emgr3

Post by emgr3 » 10 Apr 2009, 20:41

Maybe if you used an MR2 drive train and had the title for the donor car you could call it a highly modified MR2? Maybe integrate the dash support so you didn't actually remove the VIN tag? Lol, this reminds me of the story of George Washington's axe. :lol:

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 10 Apr 2009, 21:31

This is why it's so important to look into your local regulations. In California there's a law that (for now) lets you register virtually anything you can build. Granted it's only 500 vehicles per year, but based on what I hear elsewhere, we've got it pretty good.

ekim952522000
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Post by ekim952522000 » 11 Apr 2009, 10:49

Midlana1 wrote:This is why it's so important to look into your local regulations. In California there's a law that (for now) lets you register virtually anything you can build. Granted it's only 500 vehicles per year, but based on what I hear elsewhere, we've got it pretty good.
Which amazes me that something is actually easier in California...
Mike Uhlinger
Midlana Beta Builder
Northern California

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 11 Apr 2009, 11:00

Yeah I know; it's another reason why I registered my car as early as I did. I, and the others I met in line, feel the law is too good to be true and that it could be eliminated at any time.

DeanD3W

Post by DeanD3W » 19 Nov 2009, 20:50

One option to ease registration with a Midlana-like layout would be to start with a dead Fiat/Bertone X1/9... Use a bit of structure that includes the VIN tag and a Dallara body kit.
DallaraX19. jpg
I don't have any experience with these cars or the body kit, but I think it's worth considering. It looks like the kits are available for $1350 at

http://marketplaceadvisor.channeladviso ... =234728482
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WickedOne

Post by WickedOne » 19 Nov 2009, 21:06

Parts of that look nice, but having some experience with the bonded on kits I can say 1) they add weight 2) they crack at the joints due to body flex 3) the donor's always the issue 4) it's just not the same thing as a 7ish car whether it's a front or middie.

DeanD3W

Post by DeanD3W » 19 Nov 2009, 21:16

I think this particular body kit has panels that are large and might be useable hung directly on a tube framed car... If you used the roof panel windshield frame, and maybe a bit more from an X1/9 I think the kit may provide most of the remaining body... I don't know this for sure & don't have the kit component parts pictures that I found about a year ago right now, but it appeared feasible (tho not necessarily easy).

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 20 Nov 2009, 06:54

DeanD3W wrote:One option to ease registration with a Midlana-like layout would be to start with a dead Fiat/Bertone X1/9... Use a bit of structure that includes the VIN tag
Yes, short of living in an area where you're allowed to build what you want, this is the most straight forward way of avoiding "complications." A problem could occur if the car gets in an accident, and depending on the insurance agent, they might figure out it's not as described.

I'm not sure how much trouble you could get in, other than their refusal to insure it. The cost of the car isn't the issue, but if someone gets hurt, what if your insurance company uses your misleading them as a convenient excuse to step out of the way and let the suing party come after you directly...