QLD Australia; Design and Construction law

Make sure it'll be streetable Before building it! Registration, smog checks, safety tests, and insurance. Discuss what it takes to get a Midlana on the road.
pantsman
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

QLD Australia; Design and Construction law

Post by pantsman » 26 Aug 2012, 04:04

Pretty much as the title says, this is the regulations regarding registering a Midlana

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/0b095 ... spart4.pdf

I haven't finished reading all of it yet, but it looks good so far re a 'book' midlana being registerable.... YAY :D

Edit: Apparently bumper bars must be full width of the car, that might be a pain in the arse.

Also, the vehicle must meet Australian Design Rules, so that means a bit more reading unfortunately.

JeffD

Re: QLD Australia; Design and Construction law

Post by JeffD » 06 Aug 2019, 18:22

OK, being a Queensland builder I've been studying this pretty hard, and have found the following.

All ICV's (Individually Constructed Vehicles) Must comply with current ADR's (Australian Design Rules).

Applicable ADR's can be found at :
https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Vehic ... tions#qcop

Exceptions and addendum's to the ADR's for Queensland are outlined in the Vehicles Standards Instructions found at:
https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Vehic ... structions

Note, the major exceptions, are Engine age according to ADR 37/00 instead of ADR 79/04, and no need for crash testing (I'll update the appropriate ADR when I verify it).

In particular document L2.2 (2014 was the last update to this) :
https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/-/media/Safe ... .pdf?la=en

And any modifications post-build must adhere to the Queensland Code of practice :
https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/-/media/Safe ... .pdf?la=en

I'll update this once I've verified everything with the engineer. My normal engineer isn't certified for ICV's, and has given me a contact that they use for ICV certification, but she did tell me this - "Be ready for the biggest F**karound of your life, and be ready to pay a few thousand dollars!"

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 06 Aug 2019, 21:46

You and fellow builder here, freakynami, should talk; he's currently going through structural testing.

JeffD

Post by JeffD » 06 Aug 2019, 22:04

Yeah - He's in South Australia, but the testing methodology is the same, as is the criteria because it's part of the ADR.

9.3 Individually Constructed Vehicles (ICVs)
The structure of the ICV/Kit Car body/chassis must be such that there are no abrupt changes in
the strength and stiffness of loaded sections. Abrupt changes in section must be avoided as
they will produce stress concentrations and result in cracks and fatigue failure. Manufacturers
should inform themselves in this respect or seek qualified assistance.
Torsional rigidity should be at least 4,000 Nm per degree over the wheelbase unless the vehicle
has been professionally designed to operate at lower stiffness levels.
In any event the manufacturer of the ICV is responsible for the strength of the completed
vehicle

freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Post by freakynami » 07 Aug 2019, 02:16

And further to this, the engineer has reviewed my test procedure and results, and is happy to file it as accepted without needing to witness the test. I like to think this is due to how thorough I was with my reporting ;)

Re-reading an earlier post, regarding the full width bumpers, I know there are a few clubbies going around Aus with them, sometimes "bolt on" for obvious reasons, but my engineer is happy as long as the front wheel guards cover the front edge of the tyre in profile, so they'll be "clocked" around forwards more than normal aesthetics dictate. As usual, individual states and engineers may vary!

JeffD

Post by JeffD » 07 Aug 2019, 15:37

ADR exemptions for crash testing etc - From L2.2 Vehicle standards instructions.

4.2.4. Exemption from Crash Test ADRs
lCVs are exempt from ADR69/. . , ADR72/. . and ADR73/. . but not from ADR 29/. . (or, for vehicles
without doors, the intent of ADR 29/. .). Further detail is provided within the requirements of Annex
“C”.

While ICVs are exempt from some nominated ADR requirements, it is expected that all lCVs are
constructed to good engineering standards to ensure a high level of crashworthiness and occupant
protection is provided.
4.2.5 Exemption from Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
ICVs are exempt from the fitment of ESC as required by ADR31/.. Brake Systems for Passenger
Cars. However, if fitted, the ESC must be tested and function in accordance to the requirements
provided in ADR31/02.