Insurance Ontario, Canada

Make sure it'll be streetable Before building it! Registration, smog checks, safety tests, and insurance. Discuss what it takes to get a Midlana on the road.
clayton4d
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Insurance Ontario, Canada

Postby clayton4d » 30 Oct 2018, 08:24

hey guys! I am trying to get my ducks in a row as I'm going to be starting my project Midlana in the very near future. Now a good chunk of planning for the build will be based on whether it will be for the road or not. I would like to make it for the road as well as the track. Since Ontario seems to be sticklers for insurance being privatized here, is anyone here from Ontario, made a Midlana, and got insurance? Where did you get your insurance? How did you classify it? My research has turned up a few companies that I still have to contact and ask about. Mostly on the Locost forum. But we are not building lotus 7's. I know worst case scenario Facility in Ontario will do it because they are forced too. They are the last ditch for insurance when every other company has turned you down in Ontario. But that allows them to set crazy rates. I'm 30 years old, clean driving record, and when I mentioned my previously built K swapped del sol appraised at $8000 they gave me a crazy quote of $11k FOR A YEAR... Driving it only for 5 months of the year. Of course I found that price insane being more than the car is worth annually to drive it. So I fear the worst that I'll end up much in the same place again when I finish this car. hoping maybe I'll get lucky and someone on here has had luck with a reasonable insurance company. I am aware of hagarty a well but I'm sure the minute they see a pic of the vehicle and they see the roll bars on top they will deny me. Any help would be great! Thanks ahead of time!

Midlana1
Site Admin

Re: Insurance Ontario, Canada

Postby Midlana1 » 30 Oct 2018, 11:03

Also check with the insurance carrier Grundy, they're insuring my car, though I am in California.

Continue doing what you're already doing, trying to contact Locost builders in the area and asking what they did; I know there are a number of builders in Canada, just not sure where.

clayton4d

Re: Insurance Ontario, Canada

Postby clayton4d » 30 Oct 2018, 12:32

Thank you for the suggestion! I do have a friend in Manitoba who has already built and on the road locost but it is a lotus super 7 and in Manitoba they have provincial insurance so they had to insure him. I'm just hoping to come across at least one builder on here or the locost forum that has had luck with a specific company or two. I'll be patient. Got lots of time. Who know one year a company may say yes and then by the time its built change their mind on me. Fingers crossed for now

Return to “Will it be legal”