What about Oklahoma? (Feeling defeatist about chances of being able to register it)

Make sure it'll be streetable Before building it! Registration, smog checks, safety tests, and insurance. Discuss what it takes to get a Midlana on the road.
DennisDoesEverything
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

What about Oklahoma? (Feeling defeatist about chances of being able to register it)

Postby DennisDoesEverything » 07 Jul 2018, 11:08

I can't find any first hand accounts of people who have built and registered a hand built car in Oklahoma. The regulations read very ambiguously to me - it seems it is either going to be so easy that they don't specifically call out details, or so impossible that they don't consider the case.

I don't know if I have the receipt anymore for the engine (junkyard pull), and I stupidly left with the donor shell (front half only) without getting the title too. Guy I got it from is cooperative but lives 1.5 hours away so I don't know when we would be able to meet up and get a notary. I was planning on using the passenger section of the donor car (a prelude) to hold the seats and pedals.

I'm starting to question whether I'd be better off to just get a CRX or del Sol and convert it to mid engine - at least that way I could start with an already registered car.

Has anyone heard any success stories from Oklahoma for hand built cars?

Midlana1
Site Admin

Re: What about Oklahoma? (Feeling defeatist about chances of being able to register it)

Postby Midlana1 » 07 Jul 2018, 11:30

I don't see any need for anything more than having the cops run the VIN tags to ensure the stuff isn't from a stolen car. Try asking in a different way, "my drivetrain is legal because the VIN tags show it's clean, right?"

Regarding registration in OK, try this: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3866. You might try contacting the guy and see how it turned out for him. FWIW, I have not heard of any state that outright forbids building your own car - though there are rumblings!

DennisDoesEverything

Re: What about Oklahoma? (Feeling defeatist about chances of being able to register it)

Postby DennisDoesEverything » 07 Jul 2018, 17:41

Thanks your reply means a lot to me. I'll check out the link. Re: rumblings - yes I think that Texas (save the dune buggy) thing got me started on thinking about it because if I understand it it would make the title/registrations invalid retroactively which seems especially unfair. I hope our Texas brothers are successful in getting their voices heard.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 07 Jul 2018, 18:56

I should add that you have your priorities right - this stuff has to be figured out before starting any build.

ShadowCat38

Postby ShadowCat38 » 10 Jul 2018, 04:38

I haven't done it yet, but based on my research, it looks like it will be easier here than almost any other state. I've seen golf carts with full vehicle registration (full-sized plate, no special markers, identical to passenger vehicle). The forms I've found ask for some high-level information, but nothing critical requiring a deep dive.

Honestly (while this might seem a bit oversimplified) as long as it has headlights, turn signals, and brake lights, you can register it. Also, since at least half of the process is privatized in this state, if you have a friend or know a friendly face in a tag agency, it can smooth over any rough patches you might encounter.

Good Luck!

Return to “Will it be legal”