Introduction and Build Diary

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
liamcafs
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Introduction and Build Diary

Postby liamcafs » 23 Jul 2017, 03:28

Hi I'm Liam Mc and I'm from the UK, I used to live in the states though too :D

I've spent most of my time on the locostbuilders forum over the last couple of years last couple of years but I'm starting my own Midlana build and I thought i'd start a build thread here and introduce my self.

I've messed about with home built vehicles a lot over the last 10 years but for a myriad of reasons I've never been able to complete the builds. I have good facilities now and i don't anticipate moving in the near future so I'm looking forward to the build.

I was planning on doing my own chassis but after reading Kurts book (and the Kimini book) I decided to follow the Midlana build.

This is a pic of my engine and trans up on the build table. Its a Rover K-Series 1.8 VVC with a PG1 gearbox and Miata uprights and cut and shut shafts (will be made in solid later)
2016-03-18 16.25.37.jpg

Couple of pics of my belt grinder I'm building. I have it mocked up without the drive wheel just to check the tracking. Seems to work quite well at hand speed. I have a DC motor from a treadmill running things so variable speed to boot.
20170722_230735.jpg

2016-03-18 16.25.37.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisS

Re: Introduction and Build Diary

Postby ChrisS » 23 Jul 2017, 03:49

Welcome. I'm all in favour of some home-developed solutions, but I think those upper wishbones need work..... :)

Loving that belt sander - just don't let Mr Health & Safety see it.

Roughly whereabouts are you in the UK? AFAIK, there are only 3 of us building Midlana over here at the moment.

liamcafs

Postby liamcafs » 23 Jul 2017, 03:55

Thanks Chris, I'm in West Wales. Just updated my location.

Hoping to upgrade the wishbones soon :D

liamcafs

Postby liamcafs » 03 Aug 2017, 05:07

Bit of progress on the belt grinder. Still very much a prototype. The motor mount is garbage and was causing a lot of belt flap and noise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeQQiMKS3Go&feature=youtu.be

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 03 Aug 2017, 13:08

That's running pretty true. Nice long belt like that should last well.

I confess to wimping out and buying a cheap belt sander/grinding wheel combo device. I hope to get to prepping some tubes for welding with it tomorrow so fingers crossed it isn't total garbage.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 03 Aug 2017, 13:42

That's always the question, building your own tools to save money but which costs time, and where to draw lines in the sand for both!

liamcafs

Postby liamcafs » 03 Aug 2017, 23:55

I've always wanted one of these and its a smaller project I can be getting on with until we finish our house extension. The build table is covered in extension materials too :(

I think on balance this will be worth it as it has cost me very little. the motor was from a "broken" treadmil £25. the DC motor controller was £40 The wheels were all from ebay say £20 all in. The steel was mostle salvaged from a scrap pile we had left over from a business clearance a few years ago.

I must confess to having a lathe though, I don't think I would have taken this grinder build without it to be honest

jere

Postby jere » 04 Aug 2017, 08:08

Great sander! looks like the kind knife makers use. I did one too with a treadmill motor... Well the whole thing is from the cut up treadmill.... Different design entirely.

liamcafs

Postby liamcafs » 04 Aug 2017, 11:36

It was built with bladesmithing in mind ;)

SteveH

Postby SteveH » 19 Oct 2017, 00:34

Liam, I a saw a couple of your posts on the Locost Forum on UK hill climbing. Did you come to any conclusion about what class the Midlana would fit into ?. I would guess its dependent to some extent on the choice of engine. As a novice it looks I would compete using a Non-Race National B Licence, this seems to be restricted to 2.0 NA or 1.4 forced, unless its road going, but there doesnt seem to a be a natural class for a road going non-production car.
I am currently looking at a choice of MG VVC 160 engines or Toyota T-Sport, but I am not sure if the T-Sport engine would rule me out.
I will probably contact the HSA bt was interested if you came to a conclusion.

Return to “Builder's diaries”