Bill's "ok I may as well make a thread cause I bought stuff" thread

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
rennkafer
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Bill's "ok I may as well make a thread cause I bought stuff" thread

Postby rennkafer » 28 Sep 2017, 22:08

And a few more bits.. front uprights, steering rack, steering column, and steering wheel (Japanese Momo Competition with NRG quick release).

front susp pieces.jpg

The rest of the steel was ordered on Monday and I should be picking it up on Saturday, my buddy is also supposed to be picking up the Miata chassis on Saturday so I'll have some room again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill J

solamf

Postby solamf » 29 Sep 2017, 06:54

You are using the same engine I want to use in mine, but I can't see any of your early pics because of "Bandwidth Bologna" from you chosen 3rd party hosting site, which I have personally dropped because of those same shenanigans. I have yet to start my build, so I have nothing to contribute, other than I can't wait to see yours!

rennkafer

Postby rennkafer » 29 Sep 2017, 11:29

solamf wrote:You are using the same engine I want to use in mine, but I can't see any of your early pics because of "Bandwidth Bologna" from you chosen 3rd party hosting site, which I have personally dropped because of those same shenanigans. I have yet to start my build, so I have nothing to contribute, other than I can't wait to see yours!

Ya, at some point I need to get in and spend a couple hours figuring out which pics were which and re-upload them here.

Nice to see someone else who even knows what an 07K is... I think it's about a perfect engine for one of these, lots of power and upgrades available, reliable, reasonably light, and a good strong gearbox available with lots of internal upgrades for it too. I'm an old school Audi fan, so love the sound of the 5 cylinder (I also have a '93 S4)

We do seem to have a pretty eclectic mix of drivetrains being used by builders so far though, which is pretty cool.
Bill J

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 29 Sep 2017, 11:45

FWIW, while I'm still a fan of the Honda K-series for the street and NA track use, I can't recommend it for turbocharged usage due to the amount of work and $$$$$ to make it reliable (yes, that's 5 dollar signs...). Just as annoying, since there are no aftermarket gears for 5th and 6th, the stock gears are at serious risk of grenading at high speed (assuming the car's run on tracks where >140mph is possible). Reason for this post is to say that if your engine has a proven strong gearbox, that's worth a lot on its own, NA or not.

rennkafer

Postby rennkafer » 29 Sep 2017, 13:56

Midlana1 wrote:FWIW, while I'm still a fan of the Honda K-series for the street and NA track use, I can't recommend it for turbocharged usage due to the amount of work and $$$$$ to make it reliable (yes, that's 5 dollar signs...). Just as annoying, since there are no aftermarket gears for 5th and 6th, the stock gears are at serious risk of grenading at high speed (assuming the car's run on tracks where >140mph is possible). Reason for this post is to say that if your engine has a proven strong gearbox, that's worth a lot on its own, NA or not.

And that's one of the things (other than just being generally a VW-Audi guy) that convinced me to go the direction I took. The VW 02M and 02Q gearboxes are a little heavier at 110lbs, but they're three short shafts rather than 2 longer ones and the gears are pretty stout as well. Lots of full weight VW's running the 07K engine turbocharged (or the 2.0TSI in the GTI) at 4-500+whp that don't break gearboxes. The engine is pretty reliable completely stock at 400whp as well, more than that and it's a set of rods. Give the lateral loads I expect to see, I'll likely go dry sump but that's something I'd do on most anything I expected that to be the case with. That sort of loading is so far out of the design parameters for a stock car that the stock wet sump just isn't able to control the oil adequately.

If I remember right you went dry sump on your latest engine, right Kurt? Where did you mount the tank/what size tank?
Bill J

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 29 Sep 2017, 14:13

Yes, dry sump. It's the typical 8-qt tank which on the first iteration was at the (driver's) right-rear corner of the engine bay. Later - after I blew up the engine - I moved it to driver's left-forward corner of the engine bay to move the CG forward. Anything located aft of rear axle centerline is doubly bad because not only is the load on the rear axle increasing more than the item's weight, but it's also reducing weight on the front wheels (both due to leverage).

FWIW, while the reason the engine failed will forever be a mystery, it was NOT due to an oiling issue. All the bearings looked brand new.

rennkafer

Postby rennkafer » 29 Sep 2017, 16:59

Your current location is right where I was thinking of, for the same reason. Whose tank are you using?
Bill J

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 29 Sep 2017, 18:45

Russell, I think; tanks are something of a commodity, at least in the circle track world. A 6"-diameter and 20-24" tall tank fit well. Will depend somewhat upon your engine size and shape of course.

rennkafer

Postby rennkafer » 02 Oct 2017, 08:03

So the weekend was sort of a bust, my steel didn't arrive, "oh we think it will be here on Monday"... and my buddy decided since it was supposed to rain that he didn't want to pick up the Miata. Of course it was sunny nearly all day on Saturday rather than the fairly constant rain they'd forecast.

On the other hand, I did win an auction on another of my interests (old engines). Picked up a 5hp Ottawa engine, likely from a buzz saw and built around 1929. I'll toss up a pic when I get it home. (Also picked up a greenhouse for the wife... happy wife, happy life.)

Edit: as promised some pics of the distraction...

Ottawa Right Side.jpg
Ottawa Left Side.jpg
Ottawa Crank End.jpg
Ottawa Head End.jpg
Ottawa Label Plate.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill J

rennkafer

Postby rennkafer » 10 Oct 2017, 08:48

A few more steps closer...

Picked up the rest of the steel for the chassis (depending, of course on how much waste I create), pulled the rest of the parts of the former Miata track car, got it off to my friends house, and got some practice time in making the base for one of my machine tool carts that need done so I can move a couple of those that are in the build area. Learned that the vise on my cold saw will change angle if I clamp the part being cut too tightly, I'm glad I learned that on something other than the chassis. Also I reallllllllly like the new ESAB MIG welder, definite step up from the old 110v Lincoln I had before.

Look, I made a rectangle!
made a rectangle.jpg

And I now have a bunch of space back in the shop!

shop space.jpg

Getting closer... hope to get the carts finished, machine tools moved, and build table set up before we leave on vacation in 3 weeks.
Bill J

Return to “Builder's diaries”