Bill's "ok I may as well make a thread cause I bought stuff" thread

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
rennkafer
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Bill's "ok I may as well make a thread cause I bought stuff" thread

Postby rennkafer » 30 Jan 2017, 18:30

So, as the title points out, I've acquired/bought a few things now (and started parting out my former track Miata) so I guess it's time to start an actual build thread. Doing any actual construction will have to wait until said Miata is out of the way, so don't look to see a full chassis suddenly spring to life in the near future. I have a pretty completely stocked shop (which I'm still in process of finishing), but when everything is wired and reassembled I'll have a lathe, mill, two shapers, surface grinder, sheet metal brake, english wheel, sandblast cabinet, cold saw, welders (MIG and TIG), and a tube bender at my disposal. I've been wanting to build a car from scratch for about 20 years now, had a good start on a Locost about 12 years ago but ended up selling it as I was living in an apt at the time and the owner of the race shop I worked for wouldn't allow something so "low class" in... ended up languishing in storage for about 4 years so I sold it. Then moved into a house with a garage about 8 months later, sometimes this is just how life goes. :lol: Moved from CA to WA state in 2011 for a better job, bought this house/shop 2 years ago and have been itching to go back to building something myself but the Miata was making it too easy to not get started. I'm a machinist by trade, who has also done fabrication/tech work in the auto/marine/machine tool worlds.

My plan (at this point) is that this will be a track-only car, and will incorporate some changes from the base recipe to suit my own preferences. Drivetrain is planned to be a VW 2.5liter 5 cylinder engine mated to a GTI/GLI 6 speed transaxle. I'm a long time Audi guy (I also own a '93 S4 with the older turbo 5 cyl), so the modern 5 cylinder was a must for me. It will end up turbocharged (or possibly a rotrex), with ~400whp. It will be a single center seat, and will have aero at the least, possibly full bodywork. I'm thinking about using two longitudinals in the cockpit area rather than a single one, as that will allow me to get the single seat as low as possible and allow me to make the roll structure as low as possible.

At this point, project-specific I started with probably the dumbest thing to begin with, a data-aq system (RaceCapturePro Mk3 - will also run the digital dash), acquired a build table from another member here (thanks Bryan!), and bought a tube bender just yesterday. Sold a bunch of Miata parts last week, and still have a bunch of the expensive stuff to sell, so I should have a good head start. I figure I can mount the Data-Aq in the street car and learn to use it while the track car gets built.

More to come...
Bill J

John Hancock

Re: Bill's "ok I may as well make a thread cause I bought stuff" thread

Postby John Hancock » 31 Jan 2017, 06:55

Oh boy! This one sounds fun! Gotta see this one come together.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 31 Jan 2017, 07:36

I look forward to this as well. Having a full shop - not what can be crammed into one half of a two-car garage - should allow you to really do some fine work!

Def

Postby Def » 31 Jan 2017, 07:38

Sounds good. Jelly of your shop setup, sounds sweet.

What's the weight of that Audi drivetrain? Do you think you'll be widening the book frame to fit it, or is it pretty compact?

rennkafer

Postby rennkafer » 31 Jan 2017, 10:12

Midlana1 wrote:I look forward to this as well. Having a full shop - not what can be crammed into one half of a two-car garage - should allow you to really do some fine work!

Ya, the build area is about 10' x 30' though I try to keep the front of it open for repairs/maint on our other cars (though I have access to a couple friends lifts when needed). Whole shop is just shy of 1600sq ft (148sq m for you on that other system), I've been working my whole life towards having a place to work like this and started from a bare, uninsulated area two years ago. The insides are starting to come together finally and it's exciting to be able to actually build something in the shop rather than build on the shop itself (though there's plenty of work yet to be done on that).

Def wrote:What's the weight of that Audi drivetrain? Do you think you'll be widening the book frame to fit it, or is it pretty compact?

Fully dressed 07k VW/Audi engine is mid-300 lbs engine was weighed with power steering pump and a couple other things I won't need (like a stock weight dual mass flywheel) so will likely end up 25-40lbs lighter, with transaxle mid 400's. The cam drive is on the back of the engine (so overhangs the transaxle) which made the front of the engine quite a bit shorter than the earlier Audi 5 cylinders. It fits into the same chassis as came with the 1.8t/2.0tfsi so it's similar in length to the 4 cylinders and a bit narrower than the VR6. I don't have the engine/trans in hand yet so I can't be certain but I don't expect to need to enlarge the chassis at all.
Bill J

rennkafer

Postby rennkafer » 09 Feb 2017, 21:14

SO I have some actual measurements off of a friends 07k engine. I can't seem to find where Kurt mentions the dimensions of the H series Honda he's running but I think this is fairly in line with the sizes we're looking for though maybe a tad taller.

Length from front of pulley to bellhousing flange ~20.5" (19.75" using an Audi TTRS front pulley rather than the Jetta pulley on this engine)
Width of the engine alone, no manifolds - ~14", including the turbo exhaust manifold on that particular engine ~19-20" (header designed for a longitudinal install).
Height is 26" using the custom longitudinal pan, friend says the stock pan on his spare engine is maybe .25" shorter.

Now I just have to find someone with a VW 02M 6 speed to measure...

And this is what I meant when I mentioned the timing gear previously. It's all at the rear of the engine and overhangs the gearbox by ~4.25". Clever packaging. In addition to the cam drive there's also a built in vacuum pump in the overhang.
Bill J

rennkafer

Postby rennkafer » 09 Feb 2017, 21:32

P.S. this particular unassuming engine is currently North of 600whp...
Bill J

Langan

Postby Langan » 09 Feb 2017, 22:26

Were in Washington? I an a Californian moved to Washington too. I live in Sequim north west corner. I may never finnish my car, but sure have enjoyed just having to tinker with.

Fuzzydicerule

Postby Fuzzydicerule » 09 Feb 2017, 23:26

Good start rent, Your only goal should be making more power than your datum point engine. Lmao
Midlana build: Firmly stuck in planning purgatory

rennkafer

Postby rennkafer » 10 Feb 2017, 07:43

Fuzzydicerule wrote:Good start rent, Your only goal should be making more power than your datum point engine. Lmao

Pretty easy honestly... the same basic engine in the Audi TTRS has kits available for upwards of 1000whp. Still with the rods/pistons that engine has with cams and larger turbo. Reliably. That would put the car in the same (or better) power/weight zone as the big-block Chev powered Can-Am cars I used to work on. Best there was 1014 (crank) hp in a 1780lb (wet, no driver) car.

Langan wrote:Were in Washington? I an a Californian moved to Washington too. I live in Sequim north west corner. I may never finnish my car, but sure have enjoyed just having to tinker with.

Port Orchard, so Kitsap peninsula. Depending on what the situation with the Hood Canal Bridge is and traffic, I'm maybe an hour and a quarter/hour and a half away.
Bill J

Return to “Builder's diaries”