Matt's Ecoboost Build

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
ChrisS
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Matt's Ecoboost Build

Postby ChrisS » 13 Apr 2018, 01:01

FWIW, I made centreline reference marks on all the lateral tubes while the chassis was still on the table. Only temporary ones at the time, but I plan on fixing something permanent before I go too much further along. Probably just some thin sheet cut into small rectangles with a relief-cut pointer or similar. I suppose even small holes would do.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 13 Apr 2018, 06:26

Matt wrote:...
As has been posted elsewhere on the forum, a composite body although Kurt's recent comments about his snorkel intake have given me doubts.

I don't mean to scare off others by my comments about how much trouble *I* had with composite. If I had a real shop with space and proper ventilation, I'd use it a lot more.

Matt

Postby Matt » 15 Apr 2018, 14:35

Do You guys have any thoughts on using plywood for an floor/undertray? I read that that is what Briggs uses for the BAC Mono. I picture the floor extending forward as a splitter and out to the sides supporting fenders and inlets for the intercooler. Seems coated (shellac or epoxy) but not glassed is considered more durable than glassed.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 15 Apr 2018, 15:59

What do you gain over steel or aluminum? I have some skid plate material that seems to be some sort of composite wood material, but it's intended for placement here and there. Wood will work just fine but since it'll be a lot thicker than metal, it subtracts from the ground clearance. Also, the fasteners should be countersunk else it risks them getting bent or sheared off if you hit a big dip.

Matt

Postby Matt » 15 Apr 2018, 16:31

With the undertray extending beyond the frame perimeter I believe that plywood will be tougher than aluminum. Wood has memory wanting to retain or return to its original shape where aluminum will bend against a parking curb or on the track edge during an off. I was considering using 3/8” ply (11/32” actual) so yes there will be a small loss of ride height of just under 1/4” vs. 1/8” aluminum. Plywood would also dampen road noise better.

Agreed, fasteners would need to countersunk but I think fewer would be needed. I would keep the splitter separate from the main portion of the floor allowing replacement if/when needed.

rennkafer

Postby rennkafer » 16 Apr 2018, 07:13

Plywood is really common for track car splitters. 5/16" Ash is what I've seen used the most.
Bill J

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 16 Apr 2018, 08:35

Okay, I missed the part about it being a splitter. Yes, wood will work great for that because whatever the material, it becomes a consumable. I've also seen various types of plastic used as well.

rennkafer

Postby rennkafer » 16 Apr 2018, 10:31

Midlana1 wrote:Okay, I missed the part about it being a splitter. Yes, wood will work great for that because whatever the material, it becomes a consumable. I've also seen various types of plastic as well.

He's talking about using it as the floor as well. My plan is to do something similar with honeycomb if I can find it... but the plywood is a decent second choice, it's relatively cheap and available. To use aluminum to support a body it would have to be thick enough to mostly negate the weight savings and it'd be pretty expensive.
Bill J

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 16 Apr 2018, 11:44

Oh I don't think supporting anything with the floor is a good idea, but it's sort of a non-issue due to the size of the car. It's not possible to put all your body weight directly on the floor because the only exposed areas are under or almost under the dash. The only weight my floor panel ever sees is my feet when at the pedals, and that area is double-skinned.

Matt

Postby Matt » 09 Jul 2018, 07:40

Well....I have had my standalone Ford Racing Controls Pack on order for about a month now. The last email that I received said it would ship on the 6th. No new emails on Friday.... I check my inbox this morning and find a refund but no explanation. I started making calls only to be given the bad news from Ford Racing that they have discontinued that product due to an issue with a supplier, he has gone out of business.....

Feeling a bit like I was punched in the gut. I am sure there are alternatives but nothing as plug and play or as economical.

Return to “Builder's diaries”