Matt's Ecoboost Build

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
Matt
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Matt's Ecoboost Build

Postby Matt » 11 Apr 2018, 19:26

3DDEA18B-5A91-4EDD-AFD6-6603EAF59B3B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt

Postby Matt » 11 Apr 2018, 19:27

65E42044-5E82-491F-97D3-848CA206D4A6.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt

Postby Matt » 11 Apr 2018, 19:37

Well....I have made a lot of progress since my last post. Feels good to get the car setting on the wheel and tires and to see the suspension and steering working.

Toying with the idea of using a Mini Cooper windshield and frame. If used at the stock width would bring the width of the car at the windshield to roughly that of the roll hoop.

freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Postby freakynami » 11 Apr 2018, 20:39

Wow! Your progress is inspirational, and it snuck up to it, huge amount of work since we last saw it :)

There are so many of the fiddly details that you've got squared away, you'll be finished in no-time!

Love the centre console solution, very clean.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 12 Apr 2018, 06:16

Wha...? You sure snuck up on us! So many times builders get part way in and then Life Happens, never to be seen again. Now I know there's another situation - the builder's simply not posting! Congratulation on the progress.

With the chassis done, probably the next thing is to fabricate the floor panels. As it is now, it's fairly easy to roll the car on its side to measure the panels and drill the rivet holes - much less convenient later on.

After that, since plumbing, wiring, and paneling still need to happen, I suggest putting the car up on heavy duty sawhorses. The reason is that you're going to spend so much time in and around the car, it'll save your back and knees to be able to just lean in. Also, so much runs through the center tunnel, it can be good to be able to get at it from below.

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 12 Apr 2018, 07:37

Proper sneaky that was....no posts for over a year then BAM, almost complete!!

Nice work. :)

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 12 Apr 2018, 10:38

This reminds me a bit of a microprocessor class and lab I took in college. Since I already had a lab at home, I never used the lab at school. End result: when I showed up out of the blue with the finished project, the professor said "How do I know you even built that yourself?"

So... Matt... the lack of updates does leave the door open to conspiracy theories... :P

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 12 Apr 2018, 10:42

Matt wrote:...Toying with the idea of using a Mini Cooper windshield and frame. If used at the stock width would bring the width of the car at the windshield to roughly that of the roll hoop.

Do you have the nosecone yet? The problem becomes one of styling, because the nose dictates a rather narrow taper of the body aft. I don't see how you can flare it out and still have it look good.

freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Postby freakynami » 12 Apr 2018, 17:15

Matt wrote:...
As has been posted elsewhere on the forum, a composite body although Kurt's recent comments about his snorkel intake have given me doubts.

I guess that means the nose cone is a non-issue.

I have to say, I love the look of that windscreen surround, as part of a full body it will be just right.

Matt

Postby Matt » 12 Apr 2018, 19:02

I do feel bad about my lack of community involvement but between working 50 to 55 hours a week, normal life and working on the car I haven’t had a lot of motivation left over to post. It is great to hear the encouragement and congratulations though.

The big chunks are there, my neighbors keep asking when I will be done :roll: , but it still feels like there is a lot left to do.

Kurt, thanks for your advice on the sawhorses and the floor. I have been so focused on the goal of completing the suspension I must admit that there was a brief feeling of “now what?”.

I want the car up at a comfortable working height and having access to the underside will definitely be important. The build table is massive taking up a lot of space now but I have more than a little anxiety about letting go of the centerline. It could come in handy when/if I decide to go with a home grown body helping me keep the sculpt symmetrical.

Freakynami, thanks for the feedback on the windshield. I have had the frame sitting in place for a few weeks now and I take it off occasionally to see if I still like the car with it. Now that I get to see it at ride height I am almost ready to commit.

And thanks for the complement on the shifter/console. I am not obsessing over absolute lightness but I am having a great time thinking about solutions that are both functional and visually appealing. While the factory Focus ST shifter (with all the fat cut off) isn’t as compact or cool looking as Kurt’s hand built piece I still like seeing the mech that is normally hidden. My father thinks it need a leather boot....

Return to “Builder's diaries”