Matt's Ecoboost Build

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
Matt
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Matt's Ecoboost Build

Postby Matt » 21 Oct 2016, 14:31

The build is underway. Actually it has been for a few weeks but today will be the entry.

I have been trying to decide on a name and so far I have come up with two, FocuST and Midilife. The first is a spin on the source of the driveline combined with the main trait that I will need to succeed as well as the specialized nature of the finished product. The later a nod to the mid engine layout and my wife's belief that this is the sort of project that men of a certain age persue.....I could be spending my time spare doing worse things.

Approach/Goals
Stick closely to the book chassis as is practical. This will limit re-engineering time and I believe increase my chances for success.
Build my own seats.
Ford Ecoboost power (used but low mileage), 6 speed (low mileage), Ford Racing engine harness and ECU.
Mazda uprights and steering tack.
As has been posted elsewhere on the forum, a composite body although Kurt's recent comments about his snorkel intake have given me doubts.
White bodywork with orange or Habanero wheels and rollcage.
Steady progress. I will finish this car!

I heard a great quote the other day from guy on one of those TV shows where a crew of mechanics shows up and finish your project car for you. Paraphrased, He said "I have the rest of my life to finish so I am going to take my time and do things right". That will be my motto during this adventure.

Matt

Re: Matt's Ecoboost Build

Postby Matt » 21 Oct 2016, 14:35

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt

Postby Matt » 21 Oct 2016, 14:36

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt

Postby Matt » 21 Oct 2016, 14:38

Building the seat from scratch.

Matt

Postby Matt » 21 Oct 2016, 14:39

Driver seat is coming along.

Matt

Postby Matt » 21 Oct 2016, 14:41

When you build them yourself they are guaranteed to fit.

Matt

Postby Matt » 21 Oct 2016, 14:45

20,000 miles new. I have most of what is needed.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 21 Oct 2016, 15:01

Hi Matt, and welcome.

I think the EcoBoost drivetrain will become a natural choice for Midlana due to its power, especially as prices come down. Being on the cutting edge, you're cutting a path for future builders so please include pictures and comments about how well it integrates - thought I'm confident you shouldn't have any issues. One thing I look forward to is how you get it tuned. I know it comes with an aftermarket ECU but it'll still require someone who knows how to tune it. The good news is that by the time the car is done, there'll likely be tuners out there that are familiar with this currently-new drivetrain.

Best of luck!

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 23 Oct 2016, 17:48

Here's the first Locost build I've seen using an EcoBoost, though he hasn't gotten it running yet. He's had to jump through a few hoops to deal with the transmission but that's a given for the car. http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/120683-steves-sport-250-build/

Matt

Postby Matt » 23 Nov 2016, 05:16

Thanks Kurt, it is good to be a part of the community you have created here.

I agree on the Ecoboost. They are plentiful, make good power and fit nicely into Midlana. I was happy to see support from Ford Racing but I am a little surprised to hear that further tuning will be required. I thought that it was plug and play. I have seen some dyno numbers and the number of torques is impressive.

Here is another link to a rear drive Ecoboost project. https://www.facebook.com/Project-Milk-R ... 094951393/

Return to “Builder's diaries”