Phil's Australian build

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
goochie
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Phil's Australian build

Postby goochie » 23 Aug 2016, 15:19

Ten days ago I received the Midlana book from my wife as a birthday present having spent 10 years talking about building a kit. Until 4 years ago we lived in England where the house had no garage and we had very little disposable income. Luckily the move to Australia in 2012 changed both of those things and I'm now in a position to start my build.

I'm a mechanical engineer and spend most of my working day working on the design of road-rail vehicles - We take pickups and trucks and convert them to run on rail lines. The business owner is happy for me to use a small corner of the workshop for my Midlana build which will make things easier (He's currently building an extreme 4x4 using a Nissan Patrol donor, Duramax 6.7l diesel and portal axles)

I live in Perth, Western Australia which is apparently the most isolated state capital city in the world so donor vehicles are limited. However, I have found someone who has a part finished MG replica and MX5 (Miata) donor that he's looking to get rid of. He claims he's happy to break-up the MX5 so I'm going there at the weekend to see it.

There's nothing much to see yet so here's a picture of the workshop just to make you all jealous ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Re: Phil's Australian build

Postby Midlana1 » 23 Aug 2016, 19:08

Welcome; you Aussies are an industrious lot, with seemingly way more Midlana builds than anywhere else!

goochie

Postby goochie » 24 Aug 2016, 20:20

I'm going to attempt to post an update every week or with each major step, so here is the first step; The basic chassis in SolidWorks.

For those interested, it took me about 4 hours to get to this stage. Its been a few years since I used the Weldment feature so someone more familiar with it may have been able to do it faster but its nice to refresh my memory and learn some new features along the way.

Note roll-bar diagonal braces have been mirrored so the tube no longer runs behind the driver's head for right-hand-drive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Postby freakynami » 25 Aug 2016, 01:09

Welcome aboard!

Nice shop indeed, I find not having the workshop in my own place isn't the end of the world, there's always CAD to work on, parts to research etc. in the evenings.

Yeah, I reckon 4 hours sounds about right for the first 90% of the chassis, then another 1000 for the brackets :lol: Out of interest, I ended up scrapping the weldment models, too many of the joints were too complex for SW to cope with (ha ha) so I have each individual tube modeled with no end cuts, just a little bit longer than it needs to be, then make assembly cuts in the chassis model. Then I bring that up to a higher level assembly and add the brackets, then a higher level assembly for the panels... you get the idea.

goochie

Postby goochie » 25 Aug 2016, 01:31

Everything you see there is one weldment file but there are multiple structural members and trims. I found the best way to do complex intersections is to do a couple of tubes per structural member then use the weldment trim command to tidy them up.

I've since spent another 4 hours playign with ideas to find the best way to get rid of the "bitch tubes" which seem like a lot of effort for no gain. I like the way you've simply raised and broadened the outer frame tubes to solve that problem and am tempted to do the same.

freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Postby freakynami » 25 Aug 2016, 01:42

I didn't do it with that in mind, it sort of just happened, I widened the belt line for seat shoulder bolster clearance, raised the roll hoop to keep clearance over my helmet, raised the belt line to keep the proportions looking roughly the same as the book version, and the front end fell where it did. The top cuts were still tricky, but I only had to do two tubes not four.

ShadowCat38

Postby ShadowCat38 » 25 Aug 2016, 14:45

goochie wrote:I've since spent another 4 hours playign with ideas to find the best way to get rid of the "bitch tubes" which seem like a lot of effort for no gain. I like the way you've simply raised and broadened the outer frame tubes to solve that problem and am tempted to do the same.

Honestly, these weren't that bad. Kurt took the brunt of the hit by figuring out what needed to be done to fit. All the numbers you need are already there, all that is left is cutting the part. Not really that much more effort than cutting a couple of much longer tubes.

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 08 Sep 2017, 09:07

I'll second that - with Kurt having done the hard part, making them really wasn't difficult. Unless you want to make the car bigger for other reasons as Andre has, honestly, its no bother to stick with the book and cut those tubes. I actually like the way it looks as well. Not that it matters much once the nose goes on of course.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 08 Sep 2017, 10:20

I wonder what happened to the OP, hope all is well :?

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 09 Sep 2017, 00:01

I did consider that but figured some folk do go quiet for a while at times. I know I did during the period when I wasn't able to do anything on the project.

Hope all is well.

Return to “Builder's diaries”