Central Kentucky Build

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Re: Central Kentucky Build

Postby freakynami » 05 Aug 2017, 21:43

I'm planning on using the OEM cluster, but so far it's looking like being a challenge, there is almost no clearance from the wheel to the windscreen, a flat aftermarket dash may well be the only solution, but I'm still trying to see how it might be possible...

ChrisS
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Postby ChrisS » 06 Aug 2017, 00:59

Me too, saves a fortune in gauges and compatible senders. I'm also planning on using the OEM loom and switchgear for the same reasons. Like yourself, I'm just not sure it'll actually be possible to get the cluster in there. After the basic challenge of making it fit, the other big one of course is making it look OK. OEM clusters in cars like this can look a bit...naff. Only one way to find out really, do it and see how it looks.

I prepped the loom about a year ago, stripped out all the unwanted sections that looked after things Midlana won't have. Made a big pile of spare wire & electronic control units.

Good luck, I'll be following with interest to see how you solve it.

ETA. There's always the Cobra solution, put the cluster in the middle to get away from the space constraints by the wheel.

Leggman

Postby Leggman » 09 Aug 2017, 11:40

I finally got all the wiring out of the donor. I can not believe it takes all this just to run a car and being a 2005 I am sure there is probably twice this much in new cars now.
I will be glad when I can actually start cutting on this.
IMG_20170809_1356076_rewind.jpg
IMG_20170809_1355521_rewind.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 09 Aug 2017, 12:16

I don't want to rain on your parade but it's going to be hard to fit the OEM cluster behind the dash. Just saying to not box yourself in such that you're counting on it. That said, who knows, it may be small enough to actually fit.

Leggman

Postby Leggman » 09 Aug 2017, 12:28

The stock cluster is quite small and I was considering placing it in the center, what they call the cobra option.
I appreciate and understand your concerns. Nothing is locked in I just thought the stock cluster being so small would give me a speedo and tach along with the other gauges and lights needed.

Leggman

Postby Leggman » 09 Aug 2017, 13:29

IMG_20170809_1532592_rewind.jpg
It looks to me that the only way it might work is if it mounts to the top of the horizontal crossbar above the steering wheel mount. This would require some bodywork???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 09 Aug 2017, 13:40

That looks pretty compact width & height wise. Depth is a big problem with these though isn't it. I've not actually measured the donor cluster from mine yet, but I'd already reckoned I'd need to cut away a lot of the depth. It'll mean having to make a new screen for it, but that should be easy enough once it's just a flat surface. Never know, it might be possible to sneak it in under the peak of the cowl? Or, as you say, a bi too bodywork to cover it over - a relatively simple curved top section just over the instruments maybe? I had intended cutting the top section that included the fittings for the instruments cluster off the dash panel on my donor car....but I forgot and had chucked it by the time I remembered. Doh.

Like you, I'm not determined to do this no matter what...it's just it would be nice if I could, as a lot of the signals I need to produce are generated in the instrument cluster. I suspect you may be in a similar position?

Leggman

Postby Leggman » 10 Aug 2017, 18:41

It would just seem to me to be so much easier to plug everything back in then shorten / lengthen what needs to be done to make it all work. I would also like to use the factory turn signal/headlight and wiper controls.
To me a dash full of hardware store switches just looks tacky. JMHO
It will be a week or so before I can get back to the car, School starts Monday and I am also working on my BMW motorcycle after letting it sit for about ten years.
Next I think is working on the back section of the frame so I can try to get something done on finalizing the engine mounting and rear suspension.
One more bite out of the elephant.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 10 Aug 2017, 19:05

Leaving the wires long is certainly easier but wait until it's all hooked up to decide. You'll likely be shocked at the mass of unnecessary wiring, and actually look forward to removing it, revealing a much lighter and neater harness. It's good to leave everything as long as possible until everything is placed in order to be able to cut it exactly right. Also, save all the spare multi-color OEM wires, they're really handy later on for all the wiring you forgot.

Leggman

Postby Leggman » 10 Aug 2017, 19:25

Kurt, Where did you mount the computers (ECM, BCM,) Did you retain Cruise control?

Return to “Builder's diaries”