Central Kentucky Build

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
Leggman
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Central Kentucky Build

Postby Leggman » 07 Mar 2016, 15:18

OK so I have taken the plunge, not the marriage thing (did that 25 years ago) I mean the " got serious enough to buy the book" plunge.
I have a 05 ford focus hatch that is the donor car. I will be using mustang spindles up front and would like to use as much of the focus as I can to keep costs down (seats, steering column, etc.)
The build table is built and I am currently in the process of cleaning the shop to make room for all the focus bits I will have when I get it torn down.
I will post some pics later tonight when I get home from work.
Dave

Tymen

Re: Central Kentucky Build

Postby Tymen » 08 Mar 2016, 03:46

Do you have a focus RS 5-cyl turbo engine with LSD?
I was thinking about this engine for a while; could be THE perfect compromise between reliability, weight, running costs, sound and power.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 08 Mar 2016, 13:16

Great to see another build underway!

I have mixed feelings about you leaving the Locost forum. On the one hand, I''ve never been sure how well Midlana fit in over there - something of a red-headed stepchild. On the other hand, there are some very un-Locost builds over there and having another Midlana build underway would go a long way to showing that there's more than one way to build a sports car.

Leggman

Postby Leggman » 08 Mar 2016, 17:17

I guess I could post on both forums, I see your point about the more information the better.
The focus I have is a five speed but not a turbo model. It's a shame I can't get a title for the donor because even though it looks bad it runs great and is fixable. I forget what I paid for it but I think it was around 500 bucks. Runs like a new car. I hope it starts when I get it in the midlana frame. :roll:
I have a question about welding the frame. I have a 140 amp mig welder running solid wire and steelmix gas. Is that good enough or should I invest in a tig setup? I really don't need another bottle lease. I already have three.

JohnHancock

Postby JohnHancock » 08 Mar 2016, 18:58

You can buy a lot of steel for the $2,000 you would spend on a TIG. Imho the mic will do fine. Just turn it up and go for it.

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 08 Mar 2016, 22:53

Welcome, and I'll second the 'good to see another build' thought.

I was tempted into going with TIG as my MIG isn't up to the task and I was looking at buying a new welder either way, but the concensus from a lot of people in the trade that I spoke to was go with MIG. In the end, I got lucky and picked up a heed used Lincoln Compact 185 for a really good price. I also have a comedy cheap DC TIG for the odd little tasks where TIG is best.

Leggman

Postby Leggman » 09 Mar 2016, 06:32

Another shot at posting pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leggman

Postby Leggman » 16 Mar 2016, 15:55

I received my book yesterday and couldn't be more pleased. I didn't want to spend the Benjamin but now that I have seen the book I believe it to be well worth it. Well done Kurt.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 16 Mar 2016, 21:23

Do me a favor and leave a review on the Lulu site, saying exactly what you said above. Yours is a common story, people remarking on the cost but very happy with it when received.

And thank you!

Tymen

Postby Tymen » 17 Mar 2016, 04:51

people who cannot afford the book or are not willing to invest in valuable knowledge, will never build a good car anyway.

Return to “Builder's diaries”