Wow! Just realized I hadn't posted for two months! Where did the time go????
Now, I haven't been lazing around doing bugger all, but actually have made slow and steady progress. In fact I made it to my goal for this build season which was to be able to put the wheels on a put the thing on the floor.
So what have I been up to?
First up, finished the front end. As was discussed, the push rod suspension is quite a bit of work, and some fairly fiddly work at that, but the rewards are plentiful. Once it was actually all welded up and done I actually had a "Gosh! I did that!" moment.
Once that was completed it was onto the rear, which actually was quite straight forward. No cock-ups. No re-dos. No "do-overs". Just steadily worked through it and got it done, which is highly unusual for me. Maybe, just maybe, I'm getting better at this fab stuff.
Actually, practice has certainly improved my skills. My ability to measure, put holes where I really want them, and fab the metal to do what I want (rather than what it wants to do!) is definitely improving - just as we come towards the end of the major steel fab work.
I'm rather proud of my rear shock top mounts which came after quite some hours of "how the hell are we gonna do this" introspection.
Now the engine is in it's final place so we're onto the motor and torque mounts. I have to move the B18Bs alternator as it fouls on the rear suspension, but I can re-use the power steering and AC mounting bolts on the other side of the motor for that.
This leaves the alternator mount to now work as a torque mount.
While it looks like the axles are in, these are actually unmodified Integra axles, and they are so close to fitting I could cry, but the bearing's the wrong size.
It's been a good but steady build season, but it hit 100' (38c) for the first time this year today, and working in the garage in the afternoon is rapidly becoming a chore. Goal before I end the season is to have the motor and torque mounts all done.