Steve O's Build

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
steveo
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Steve O's Build

Postby steveo » 09 Jan 2018, 11:17

FINALLY!!!!

I HAVE A 3D CHASSIS!!!!!

The cross tubes are in, and even better, they're in the right place!!!!

Ye gods that was a lot of work! I don't think I've ever measured anything so many times, but it's in and it's square/level. And even better I fit!!! Plenty of room for my oversize body and head! Not 100% happy with the looks as the cross tubes are a little too far forward and high giving it a rather "cab forward" look, but it's either do it all again or work with it..... so we have what I now call the "cab-forward Maxlana" ... Maxlana because it's built for big fat dudes like me rather than little skinny dudes like Kurt!

All and any comments and feedback gratefully received as I know this is a critical juncture!

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 09 Jan 2018, 12:23

First, congratulations - that's probably the biggest step - mentally - in the whole build and really gives a sense of it becoming real. It's all downhill from here :P

I do have to ask however... what's the angle of those front down-tubes. From memory they're 45 degrees, but in the pictures they look much steeper, more like 70 degrees or so. If that's on purpose, why was it done that way?

steveo

Postby steveo » 09 Jan 2018, 14:06

Thanks Kurt! You're right! Mentally that was quite a leap as I now have a framework to hang things on which will make life much easier.

The front down tubes are 65'. This is driven by a combination of the increased height of the roll-hoop (+4.5") but still having the same dimensions in the chassis floor. If I'd lowered the angles much further I started getting into issues with roll-hoop to helmet clearance, being 6'3". It looks OK-ish (but not great) in CAD but I think it's something I'll have to live with making a very small car for a very big dude! (6'3" and 260lbs).

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 09 Jan 2018, 14:21

Is the top of the windscreen roughly where it is in the book, or did that corner of the car move forwards in yours? The reason I'm asking is because the drivers needs room forward of the steering wheel for some clearance between it, the dash, and the windscreen. I "think" you're fine since the windscreen will be much more vertical, freeing up space around the dash and windscreen.

That aside, I wasn't kidding how big a milestone that is because literally everything else on the car attaches to what you have. You'll find that you gradually stop using measuring tools and plan dimensions, and just hold a tube up to what you have and cut it to fit.

ShadowCat38

Postby ShadowCat38 » 09 Jan 2018, 19:34

Midlana1 wrote:You'll find that you gradually stop using measuring tools and plan dimensions, and just hold a tube up to what you have and cut it to fit.

I'll vouch for this. I've done it waay more than I'd like to admit.

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 10 Jan 2018, 04:00

That'll shrink visually once you get the side tubes in I think. The screen angle is probably closer to a more conventional '7' now, and it'll probably end up looking quite a lot like a typical '7' with a full cage on.

Maxlana - :)

steveo

Postby steveo » 10 Jan 2018, 18:24

It moved forward about 8" so plenty of room for stuff there!

Looking at "Build Your Own Sports Car" (Gibbs, 2007) they have the angle of the windscreen at 70' so I'm somewhere in between which is good to know.

Spent today on the door bars and almost finished. As you said, you rely much less on the book know and instead cut to fit, which is much easier although somehow feels less exact, but the results are ok.

steveo

Postby steveo » 14 Jan 2018, 19:32

OK a good weekend ... at least until...

First got the door bars all sorted out. Again tricky because of the various angles but I feel like I'm starting to get it finally and not screw up every time I cut steel. Happy with the results except the welding of the internals of the right side straight bar has pulled the floor up 1/4". While my welding is certainly strong enough with good penetration I have a habit of putting too much heat into the joint if I get out of the rhythm. Not the end of the world but something I need to work on.

Also got the bottom of the windshield and the top of the front roll hoop sorted. these went really well. No bad cuts, all the angles spot on and I've got a really nice fit on all the pieces.

Then started work on the front of the car. Built the obligatory "scaffolding" to hold everything on the right place...

... made sure everything was level ...

.. then cut and tacked everything in place. Really happy with these. Great fit. No squiggly cuts or wasted steel. Right first time!

So there I was, motoring along very nicely thank you when I get a phone call from the wife who's away skiing. She's only gone and fallen, broken her left arm and fractured her pelvis! :o

So will be taking a few days off to look after the poor girl. She's in good spirits but this will bugger up our lifestyles for a little while I suspect.

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 15 Jan 2018, 01:20

Excellent progress. It grows really quick at this stage doesn't it.

I had the same thing with the bottom rails lifting up. For ages I had them clamped down as I progressed but eventually, there was so much structure nothing was moving and they still have a slight upward bow to them. Other than being a bit irritating, not significant I don't think and nothing I can do about it now anyway.

Sorry to hear about the missus. Get well soon.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 15 Jan 2018, 08:04

steveo wrote:...

So there I was, motoring along very nicely thank you when I get a phone call from the wife who's away skiing. She's only gone and fallen, broken her left arm and fractured her pelvis! :o

So will be taking a few days off to look after the poor girl. She's in good spirits but this will bugger up our lifestyles for a little while I suspect.

I hope you said, "This is SO inconvenient!" I think it's going to be longer than "a few days", but you'll also make lots of points. In all seriousness, I hope her recovery goes smoothly and painlessly.

Return to “Builder's diaries”