Steve O's Build

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
ChrisS
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Steve O's Build

Post by ChrisS » 04 Jul 2017, 00:38

Right, that's me decided.....I'm wimping out and doing a double hoop design with some tubes linking A & B pillars.

Looking good though Steve. Good to see you back at it.

freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Post by freakynami » 05 Jul 2017, 03:14

Looking good - it'll go faster soon, I promise!

I am liking the crossover, well worth the extra effort now, and it's not horrible, just time-consuming and demanding of a bit of patience. Now I've got the seat and steering wheel in, I'm very glad of the decision having tried my entry/egress a few times :)

steveo

Post by steveo » 10 Jul 2017, 14:01

Yeah the crossover is very stylish.

I wouldn't be put off from doing it, and as you say, ingress and especially egress are going to be much easier. It's a lot of work to get that style and the book does warn you about what you're getting into.

I think in my case it was also a lot of learning as I've never done anything on this scale before. The realization about using the "scaffolding" and test fitting using PVC tubes really made life easier but of course I had to go through the learning process to develop those ideas and make them work.

I don't think I've made so many measurements of a few pieces of material in my life, and with the cross-over the kicker is that you trely are working in three dimensions. Every movement and rotation had effects all the way through the cage, so every time something moved you had to re-measure and re-check. This is where the scaffolding helped as it constrained the amount of movement.

Great learning experience and as you say went much faster afterwards. The two windscreen cross pieces went so quickly afterwards that it was almost like they did themselves. One more piece to cut then we can start tacking and really seeing how it all fit together!

Wish me luck!

Tony

Post by Tony » 08 Dec 2017, 11:38

Any updates? Looking good so far.

steveo

Post by steveo » 08 Dec 2017, 11:50

Hoping I can get some time this weekend. I've been in Europe for the past month and it's tricky to TIG weld from 5200 miles away! :lol:

steveo

Post by steveo » 01 Jan 2018, 07:34

Finally!!!! I now have plenty of time to commit as I have retired!!!! :D

Oh yes. No excuses now, Well other than the fine lady wants a few other projects around the house addressed, but that's only fair. So we should (*ahem*) be seeing much more regular updates! Jan 1st is a great day to get my butt out there and get moving at last!

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 02 Jan 2018, 01:37

Congratulations, and welcome to the club :)

My first three months after retirement were spent exclusively on remodelling the bathroom. Don't get me wrong, I don't live in a palace, I just work slowly :lol:

I found that phase helped me to adjust actually - I think if I had gone from full time work to nothing, overnight, I might have gone nuts.

rennkafer

Post by rennkafer » 02 Jan 2018, 10:42

ChrisS wrote: I found that phase helped me to adjust actually - I think if I had gone from full time work to nothing, overnight, I might have gone nuts.
Or you'd be three months further along on your build :D
Bill J

steveo

Post by steveo » 02 Jan 2018, 12:18

I agree with you Chris. Having something you can completely commit yourself to straight away really helps with the transition. It's only the first couple of days but if I keep working at this rate I will work myself into an early grave. I'm sure I'll ease up after a while and pace myself a bit, but at the moment I am just loving not having to deal with office crap!!! Been walking around with a huge smile on my face for the last two weeks.

steveo

Post by steveo » 02 Jan 2018, 13:47

All right ... lets go!

First job - fit the seat belt attachment points to 217/218. Rather proud that I remembered as everyone else seems to forget and my addled brain can't remember what I wanted from one room to another!

Nice bit of 7/8" ext/7/16" int DOM was found, four 2" sections cut off then drilled out to 29/64" and tapped to 1/2-20.

These were then welded into 217/218. Not too displeased with results. While the welds will certainly not win beauty contests, they have good penetration so I am happy to depend my neck on these.