Alfa power build.

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
ChrisS
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Alfa power build.

Postby ChrisS » 06 Apr 2018, 05:59

Still not a lot going on with my build at the moment, other than some pondering around the dash/scuttle area and messing with steering wheel bosses.

In related news, I've found a good home for the build table, which is being picked up next Tuesday, which is great news. The downside of that is having to find somewhere to put the chassis for the rest of the build. The table was always going to have to go at some point, now is as good a time as any, so I made a crude trolley to sit it on. The flimsy hoop in the middle is a centre support for material storage. The trolley tapers to match the chassis, more or less.

Trolley-tastic.jpeg

Trick now is to transfer the chassis from table to trolley.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ShadowCat38

Postby ShadowCat38 » 10 Apr 2018, 08:57

Oooh, a trolley... I like that idea more than the sawhorses I was going to use.

Did you put casters on all four corners, or just two? It looks like all four, but the back two are fuzzy enough to be ambiguous, i think.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 10 Apr 2018, 09:49

I put castors on my first build table but didn't on the second because I found that once it was in-place, it never moved. OTOH, if you have a huge shop and have to move it around, agree it's the only way to go.

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 10 Apr 2018, 13:28

I have the other issue, a small shed, so being able to shift it left & right a bit will help. I didn't want wheels on the table as I wanted to be able to adjust it accurately to be level and square.

Quick shot of the car between garage and workshop today.

On the move.jpeg

And back in the workshop.

Back in place.jpeg

@shadowcat. Yep, castor at each corner. Makes for interesting 'handling' though :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 10 Apr 2018, 13:35

Haha, true, I used two fixed and two swivel castor's for that very reason.

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 10 Apr 2018, 13:43

I very nearly went that route, but decided the space needed to make a sideways move with two fixed wheels probably wouldn't work in my shed.

The car feels smaller now it's a bit lower, as well as losing the extra width of the table. I will miss the handy flat surface though - although that did tend to encourage bad habits of just dumping stuff all over the table.

I made sure I can still store the metal stock underneath, off the floor, and there is still space under that for storage tubs.

I visited a mates place at the weekend, he was having a 'garage day'. Proper shed-envy, I am sad to confess. The house had a triple garage when he moved in (UK sized cars) and space behind it, so he extended it back at full width and about another 3 car lengths deep, so it's 4 cars deep and 3 wide, plus a bit. Nice. He currently has 7 cars in it.....and a bike. 4 of the cars are active projects, so maybe all that space is a bad thing. :)

That said, I do wish I'd had the nerve to extend myself a bit when I moved in, and built a proper double and a bit workshop rather than keeping the single garage that was already there and putting up the new shed. Bit late now really.

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 10 Apr 2018, 13:50

Forgot to say, I did briefly consider these before going DIY:

s-l1600.jpg

About £150 for a pair.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 10 Apr 2018, 14:00

Buried in my build blog are pictures of how after the car was taken off the build table, it was moved onto to sawhorses* to make access from below easy during final build up.

*I thought I'd be cute and include the British term for "sawhorse", but was puzzled by the Google search results. Seems Google thinks they're called "sawbucks" in the US, but I've never heard the term, it's always been sawhorses around here, the same word the Brits use. Okay.

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 18 May 2018, 13:38

I used sawhorses on a previous build....but gave them away some years ago, or I'd have used them again.

I'm really struggling with overcoming the lethargy/inertia at the moment.....

No pictures and no progress of late, but I did buy the master cylinders for brakes & clutch this week and bolted them to the pedalbox. Had to wind the upper studs a bit further into the pedalbox to stop them fouling the fluid reservoir necks though.

....must get over this builders block......I know what it is....it's the bodywork/panels. Just don't fancy doing it. Really enjoy the basic structure stuff, and the mechanic-ing and electrics etc. I did plenty of fibreglass work on my last build no problems, as well as a fair bit on the Westfield during the refurb, so it isn't a lack of knowledge or confidence on that front, and I've bashed plenty of sheet metal in the past too. Can't even blame work or other commitments, as I have neither to worry about.

I picked up the silencer cans and a few bits for the exhaust at the back end of last month, and have been away on holidays in between, but lack any good reason not to get stuck in again. I told myself NOT to do the exhaust, because I'd enjoy doing that, and I'm trying to save it as a treat for after the bodywork is done. Maybe I should use working on the exhaust as a method to get me back into the shed instead.......

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 18 May 2018, 15:54

ChrisS wrote:.......must get over this builders block......I know what it is....it's the bodywork/panels...

Don't worry about it, everyone goes through this; try working on bits that you do enjoy. In the end it all comes down to putting in the time regardless of what's being worked on. Just work a little at a time and you'll push through.

Return to “Builder's diaries”