Alfa powered build.

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
ChrisS
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Alfa power build.

Postby ChrisS » 15 Aug 2018, 14:09

Bit more bumbling about in the shed today. Didn't get all that much done, but at least I tidied up a few small niggles that I'd been leaving until later. Shortened the master cylinder pushrods so I can adjust the pedals a bit further back, sorted out the remote oil filter line that had a twist in it, removed the mock-up driveshafts and fitted the custom made ones I've had lurking in a box for months. They look nice and will no doubt work better than the mock ups I made by welding Alfa & MX5 parts together. Now I have them in place, I can set about sorting out the mounting bracket for the wheel speed sensor. I got outer CVs with ABS rings on so just have to add a sensor.

I also have to knock up a divide by 5 box so the output is right for the speedo. Probably pay me to make it adjustable, so I suppose I'll have to learn how to program some flavour of micro controller. Haven't done anything like that for many years. Last thing I made was a device that connected to a range of broadcast tape machines and output the tape counter to Braille displays so blind Studio Managers could edit/cue audio tape.

If anyone reading this could point me at a good resource to get started, I'd be most grateful. Pointers on which hardware family to use would be good too. I've got a PIC programming interface kicking around from a previous life, but I'm pretty sure they have been superseded by now. Mac or Windows hosted IDE  - can't be doing with Linux I'm afraid. I'm sure its wonderful, but I don't have enough years left to cram yet another OS into my ageing brain ;)

Another reason for fitting the proper driveshafts now is to make sure I don't build a FUABR into the thing. It's getting quite tight for space round the rear uprights and I still have to route hydraulic lines.

I had hoped to do the clutch line today, but some idiot ordered the wrong fittings.....and that same idiot didn't double-check the thread size on the slave cylinder, so yet another adapter is required. Doh.

Stuck for parts now, so I might scare myself tomorrow by throwing the wiring loom at it to see where it lands. Or perhaps try and figure out the wipers and screen demister vent & heater box location. Neither task is very appealing TBH as I know they are both going to be 'a challenge'.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 15 Aug 2018, 17:00

Regarding the divide-by-5 thing, consider using counter ICs. I used to be into electronics before and during the microprocessor boom and before micros, we used counter chips. Time wise it's going to be way faster.

rennkafer

Postby rennkafer » 15 Aug 2018, 18:44

Chris, I'd look into using a Raspberry Pi microcomputer. Might be a bit more power than you need but easily programmable, lots of info around, and the foundation that makes them is based in England, so they're relatively local to you.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/
Bill J

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 15 Aug 2018, 23:10

My first thought was a simple hardware divider, but I probably need to be able to adjust it as the rules about speedometer accuracy over here are pretty strict on the certification test. I too did most of my electronics design back before microprocessors were completely ubiquitous!

Funny enough, I bought a Pi to experiment with a short while ago. Certainly overkill, but it’s so cheap, that hardly matters does it.

Thanks chaps.

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 16 Aug 2018, 01:20

After a bit of mooching on 't inter webs, I have copped out and bought a SpeedoDRD for the job. I may still go with a basic divide by 5 circuit then use the SpeedoDRD to make fine adjustments. Will wait and see how it behaves.

rennkafer

Postby rennkafer » 16 Aug 2018, 06:45

ChrisS wrote:Funny enough, I bought a Pi to experiment with a short while ago. Certainly overkill, but it’s so cheap, that hardly matters does it.

Thanks chaps.

One of the main reasons I suggested it was the price. Pretty hard to go wrong when it costs $35 for the latest B+ version. I bought one fairly recently to play around with then use it to operate my 3D printer remotely w/live video monitoring. Might have to get another just to keep playing at that price.

I'm thinking you could make up a reasonable data aq system with a Pi...
Bill J

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 23 Aug 2018, 01:37

Still chipping away at it. Got the first layer of the tunnel mostly sorted now - main coolant pipes, gear change and handbrake. (This is the best picture I have at the moment, need to take some more soon).

Handbrake lever slightly modified by adding a V roller to help the cable round a corner. It all fits in there, but it's tight.

coolant pipes and handbrake.jpeg

While waiting for some parts, I've moved forwards and made a start on the coolant swirl tank/radiator lines. First stab at aluminium welding. Hopefully it'll get better with more practice.

ali weld.jpeg

Brake pipes are done, as is the clutch, they just need to be firmly fixed once I get a few other things finalised. Currently working towards doing the heater pipes, but realised I need to know where the wiper motor and linkages are going before I locate the heater, so I made a start on that yesterday. Nowt to show for it yet, but I'm starting to get my head round it.

It's all starting to get fiddly now - ponder to productivity ratio has gone to pot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 23 Aug 2018, 07:25

Is there room in the center tunnel for everything else, like wiring, brake and clutch lines, and bleed hose from the radiator? Don't underestimate the size of the wiring bundle, one being the main starter, which is 12-14mm all on its own. I think my overall bundle was around 25mm.

rennkafer

Postby rennkafer » 23 Aug 2018, 08:49

Your swirl pot looks pretty good, your aluminum welding isn't as bad as you think.

Only thing I'd suggest (and this is more for others than for you, Chris), is be sure to cap all the aluminum lines/swirlpot and pressure test them outside the car. Nothing like wrangling them into place for what you think is the last time then finding out you have a pinhole leak, ask me how I know. :D Way easier to deal with when using plain water and outside the chassis in a test config than cleaning up coolant inside a chassis.
Bill J

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 23 Aug 2018, 10:59

Midlana1 wrote:Is there room in the center tunnel for everything else, like wiring, brake and clutch lines, and bleed hose from the radiator? Don't underestimate the size of the wiring bundle, one being the main starter, which is 12-14mm all on its own. I think my overall bundle was around 25mm.

Oh, I do hope so! It’s going to get tight for sure. I may use the box section “spine” for the wiring as that would help get it past the bottleneck by the handbrake. I’m expecting to have to make the bulkhead cover quite large to accommodate everything.

Return to “Builder's diaries”