Omi's (South African) Build Diary

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
Omi
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Omi's Build Diary

Postby Omi » 24 Mar 2015, 13:16

Did a little playing around in Paint.net, and edited the first picture into something like the exterior mods id like to do. Dont know who made the first pic, but sorry for violating it!
Original:
Mine:

Omi

Postby Omi » 25 Mar 2015, 15:22

My plan is/was to build it with a 3SGTE 4th gen engione with a camry gearbox. Wanted to have about 350hp, at max, stock 4th gen is 260.
Anyway, this is going to have to be cancelled, or in the best case put on hold, as:
So far all the information we have been able to aquire on the South African registration process for homebuilt chassis points to the fact that we have to build a few and send them for crash testing before we can register them. There must be a way around it, as plenty of stupid vehicles (such as the back of a beetle with a bike/chopper front can occasionally be seen driving around. We will continue to look for a way to register a midlana, but until then the build is off for us. I will keep updating this thread if any new info is found.

freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Postby freakynami » 25 Mar 2015, 22:55

That is an unfortunate situation, I always am jealous of the UK's IVA/SVA (whatever it is these days) scheme, let alone California's SB100, but sometimes Australia doesn't make it so tough to do what we want...

As to crash testing, assuming you factor in the cost of a few bare chassis, the testing itself shouldn't cost that much if you have access to a facility, it's the report / analysis / results / approval that provides that will cost. I work for an aero company, we crash test stuff on occasion when it's easier than analysis and the testing itself isn't rocket science...

Hope you find a solution, your engine combo sounds promising :)

Omi

Postby Omi » 26 Mar 2015, 13:34

Thanks FreakyNami, i also hope we find a way to do it. The search will have to be put on hold for a week and a half, mid semester "test week" is here and have to study my ass off for these chemical engineering tests. The problem is we dont have the access to these facilities and have to pay a third party to do them for us, and worried what happens if we invest that much money into building chassis and the result comes back negitive. Also not sure if they just need chassis or full car... Will keep this updated until the build either starts or shuts down completely...

Return to “Builder's diaries”