Freakynami's [Actual] build...

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Re: Freakynami's [Actual] build...

Postby freakynami » 03 Aug 2018, 18:40

I did look at some like that, there's not a huge range of "E" marked or ADR approved LED lights. There's nothing else to go back there so it should work out - can always swap them down the track when I actually get to that stage!

freakynami

Postby freakynami » 06 Aug 2018, 02:53

It's been a long time since I tacked the seat mount brackets on.
I've considered the shortcomings of my design, and finally cut them all off.
FAB137_1.jpg

The next version is using a set of Bitsashiti Colt (Mirage) seat slides.
Drilling out the spin-rivets was easy.
FAB137_2.jpg

To remove all of the extraneous brackets.
FAB137_3.jpg

Which actually amounted to a LOT of useless (to me) steel.
FAB137_4.jpg

To leave me with these.
FAB137_5.jpg

Plus a couple of bobbins (stainless) for the rear mounts.
FAB137_6.jpg

More to come...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Postby Midlana1 » 07 Aug 2018, 07:19

I find it destructively refreshing to tear an assembly apart, removing all the unneeded bits, and ending up with exactly what's needed while removing a bunch of weight and bulk to boot.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 07 Aug 2018, 08:03

freakynami wrote:I did look at some like that, there's not a huge range of "E" marked or ADR approved LED lights. There's nothing else to go back there so it should work out - can always swap them down the track when I actually get to that stage!

Where will your license plate go, below? The screened area needs to stay fairly open in order to serve as the outlet port for all engine heat.

mainlandboy

Postby mainlandboy » 07 Aug 2018, 20:30

Midlana1 wrote:I've seen (in some long-since forgotten thread) round LED taillights like that, but they have rings of lights for different functions, stop, turn, and running lights. If you can find them, it would be a way to reduce the number of required assemblies.

Speaking of which, these are what I used on my home build car:

http://www.optronicsinc.com/PRODUCTS/LE ... riesID=687

The have an outer LED glow ring (in which you don't see individual LED bulbs) for the tail light, a middle section for the brake lights (in which you can see the individual bulbs) and an inner white reverse light with 4 white LED bulbs. Keeps the back of the car looking clean with only a left and a right light needed for all functions. These assemblies even incorporate the mounting flange into them!

freakynami

Postby freakynami » 08 Aug 2018, 03:36

Midlana1 wrote:I find it destructively refreshing to tear an assembly apart, removing all the unneeded bits, and ending up with exactly what's needed while removing a bunch of weight and bulk to boot.

Totally agree, I think the scrap weighed more than the bare slider, I needn't have worried so much about the weight of the OEM parts...

Midlana1 wrote:Where will your license plate go, below? The screened area needs to stay fairly open in order to serve as the outlet port for all engine heat.

Yeah, the plate goes a bit lower down, it doesn't need to be that far above the ground, can't remember the exact height but this location is compliant.
Just noticed the plates are in that view! I've gone custom plates for the CAD version ;) The plate size is as per our regs.
Here it is with a bit more fruit on the car for perspective...
FAB138_1.png

mainlandboy wrote:Speaking of which, these are what I used on my home build car:...

The ones I'm using have a flange very similar to those, which agreed, makes the installation much simpler. I've always been torn between combined lamps and separate ones, on one hand it keeps the lines clean, but on the other it can cause confusion when indicators are outshone by brake lights for example. No real reason I guess. These are about as small as I can go while still getting LED, and I still have the option of only installing a single reversing light, which can be lower down, which would also help it look a bit cleaner.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Builder's diaries”