Freakynami's [Actual] build...

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Freakynami's [Actual] build...

Postby freakynami » 06 Jan 2015, 23:07

After what seems like a very long time, I am finally in a position to begin my build.

As with many, progress will be dependent on many factors. I have a lot of the "options" firmed up, and obviously a lot of design effort has me in a good position. As I haven't previously been spending real money though, I haven't yet been able to set any important design issues in stone; that can now change :)

I have a workshop space. There is a long story behind it, but I have access to a shed in my sister's back yard only 5 minutes away. It has space for the build and a fair amount of storage. There is a separate workbench, materials racks, drill press, MIG welder, air and power (240v Single Phase only), good lighting and some fans for the hot days (it's around 41° today, or 106°F).

(It's a bit cleaner than this now)

FAB001.jpg

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254202 is my garage thread... *Edit* which has also lost all of the photos thanks to PhotoBucket... :evil:

I'm about to talk to the engineers who are allowed to sign off on the project, so that may drive some aspects as I move forward.

More as I get time - I'm a busy boy now :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by freakynami on 02 Jul 2017, 04:28, edited 2 times in total.

Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Freakynami's [Actual] build...

Postby Midlana1 » 07 Jan 2015, 06:13

Very cool! Have you made a final decision on the engine you'll use?

Though more work, it may be worth adding ceiling and wall insulation - I can see how the shed could be an oven in the summer. Of course, the time to add the insulation is in the winter.

freakynami

Postby freakynami » 07 Jan 2015, 17:51

Insulation would certainly be nice, not sure if I'll ever get around to it...

At this stage, I am planning on using a 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer CVT as the donor. Roy obtained one and was going to use it, but has unfortunately put Midlana on the back-burner; if it works out I'll take on the bits he's managed to get so far. If that pans out, then the engine is a 4B11 (not the 4B11T from the Evo, which is a very different engine despite the similarities). As the engine is still inside an entire wreck, I'll be able to get a lot of "stuff" from it I hope, including the stock ECU and connectors etc. We have to run everything stock standard to get through inspection. I'm not sure about the CVT. I have a daily driver Corolla with one, that is a surprisingly good thing (for commuting), but... There are a bunch of manual gearboxes available, but I'd also have to adapt the computer which undoes most of the advantage of using an entire wreck, we'll see.

The 4B11 has around 110kW and 200Nm in a 1325Kg car. In Midlana it'll be in the same region as a Porsche Cockster, Nissan 370Z, VW Scirocco R etc. for Torque/Weight.

If I ever switch over to a 4B11T then it'll be a higher Torque/Weight ratio than a Maclaren 650S (and almost as much as Kurt's ;) )

bgkast

Postby bgkast » 07 Jan 2015, 18:57

Nice shed! I wish I had one like it.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 08 Jan 2015, 06:23

Yeah that makes two of us; in the U.S. what you have there would typically be called a barn instead of a shed. Other than the heating and cooling costs, I'd be so very happy to have a barn "out back" like that one!

freakynami

Postby freakynami » 12 Jan 2015, 00:09

Cool, yeah I like the term Barn better than Shed :)

I have a meeting with an engineer soon, that will clarify some things so that I can move forward with more momentum, it's sounding like not too many big hurdles.

I also dropped into a race shop on the way home today. They had a whole line-up of seats (and not just Velo).

FAB002_1.jpg

I explained what it was for (street mostly clubman style car), he sized me up and suggested a particular model. It fit like a glove. I proceeded to try every other seat and came back to the original one... I expected the Sparco to be comfortable but my arse didn't agree.

It is a Velo GP90 in size XL (they do Std and XXL too). It's not an eBay special, but it's not an all-out track seat either. The price is good too. As a wierd spot of curiosity, turns out the factory is less than 2km from home.

FAB002_2.jpg

It's a FRP composite shell seat, ADR (Australian Design Rule) approved, 7.9Kg (17.4lb), 510mm (20.0") wide at base and 630mm (24.8") wide at the wings. I'll check shortly how this compares to the two versions I have in CAD. If I need to widen the chassis to fit them, now is the time before I've cut metal.

FAB002_3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by freakynami on 02 Jul 2017, 04:33, edited 1 time in total.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 12 Jan 2015, 06:09

What are you planning for the passenger seat? If both have shoulder "ears" they will likely interfer unless the seats are offset front/back.

freakynami

Postby freakynami » 12 Jan 2015, 23:15

I'm planning on using two of the same seats (I'm a bit OCD for symmetry), although I may go to a smaller one for my lovely wife, we'll go and try the seats again soon. I had planned on having the seats fixed and the pedals moving, but rethinking that now. If I end up with the driver's seat on rails, then I'll aim to have the pax seat set as far back as possible, and stagger the drivers just forward of that in the aft-most position and overlap the ears/wings.

In other news, I visited the first engineer today. Bottom line, it's all good, shouldn't have any hassles getting it certified. The real gem was clarification that I "apply" and receive a VIN along with a statement of requirements. The date on that SOR dictates which "rules" I have to comply with. If those rules then get updated over time, as they always to, such as emissions etc., I still only have to pass the dated revisions. Phew, that was my biggest worry, taking several years to build a car, to find that the engine I've installed is no longer acceptable.

It also seems that I can change the plans (within reason) during the build, without having to re-apply, the engineer just makes sure it's all squared away before inspection and the paperwork matches what I built.

Happy days, this was a major hurdle for me to navigate, that has turned out to be quite clear and sensible. One more visit to a second engineer tomorrow (wan't to be 100% sure) then I can get on with actual things and stuff.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 13 Jan 2015, 06:13

Being able to state upfront that Midlana is "Ausi-compliant" would be a nice perk, though I get your point about the rules being a moving target.

freakynami

Postby freakynami » 13 Jan 2015, 23:22

Unfortunately it is definitely not that simple. I understand it varies state to state. Even if a vehicle is transferred to another state, it has to be re-inspected. For "normal" cars there are things that will get you rejected in SA (like any window tint at all), but is fine in NSW. Sometimes it depends on the inspector, and your attitude at the inspection.

For Midlana, there are some simple things that I will have to do for compliance in South Australia. The engine must be post 1999, and run everything stock from the donor car (ECU, Turbo, Cats, all the little black tubes). I can not use a harness, I must use a 3 point inertia reel seat belt. I must run mud guards, the front even has to protect the front face of the tyre, or I have to run a full width bumper bar if I don't (or some sort of mini-bumper bar in front of each wheel). Surprisingly to me, I don't actually have to run with a windscreen, although I intend to. All of the lighting, mirrors etc. are valid too, as per road cars.

There are around 157 specific Australian Design Rules that I have to demonstrate compliance with, but only 31 are relevant to Midlana, and only a handfull of those will require anything more than a quick check.

I think the two most arduous "tests" are the chassis torsion test, I have to exceed 4000Nm/deg, carried out around the rolling chassis stage, and then the stability, or lane change test, performed on a closed race track by the engineer at around 60mph I think.

Return to “Builder's diaries”