86SupraGuy's Ecotec based build

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
86supraguy
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

86SupraGuy's Ecotec based build

Postby 86supraguy » 06 Dec 2014, 13:45

Hello everyone, i have been doing research on kit cars and and have finally decided to (financially able to) start my own build. I have a 2005 caviler I am going to be using as a Donor. it only has 97k on the motor and figured that i can have more fun with that than with just trading it in to a dealership for the new car I have. They only wanted to give me $800 for it.

So I am going to be placing the order for the book on Friday and start clearing out the shed so I can start construction on the build table.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Re: 86SupraGuy's Ecotec based build

Postby Midlana1 » 06 Dec 2014, 17:36

Welcome, we look forward to seeing your build! Take your time reading the book because it covers many options for your car. Though the book contains complete plans, everyone's car will be a little different due to personal preference and that's a good thing!

bgkast

Postby bgkast » 06 Dec 2014, 20:33

Welcome!

86supraguy

Postby 86supraguy » 05 Oct 2015, 07:49

Finally ordered the book and life is starting to cooperate with me. Going to start dismantling my donor this weekend, Should be fun. Pics to come.

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 05 Oct 2015, 08:03

Excellent - another build.

freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Postby freakynami » 06 Oct 2015, 02:18

Good to see another build gaining momentum - let the fun begin!

86supraguy

Postby 86supraguy » 12 Oct 2015, 05:24

This weekend was not as productive as i would have liked but still got a bit done. First off, here is the donor.

Got the wheels off of this and put them on my wife car, put some junk rims and tires on this thing so I could still push it around the yard as needed. I also have an old automatic Camry in the yard that I am going to sell so cleaned that out and i have to figure out why that's not starting. (Alarm is acting up and disabling the starter I think.) In a strange turn of events the Caviler decided to turn on again, it was nice to here it running and got to drive around the yard. I also cleaned out the shed and made some more room in there to store the parts I am getting off the Caviler. Now with all that done I think I am in a better place to start dismantling the car and trying to sell the bits I wont be using.

86supraguy

Postby 86supraguy » 07 Dec 2015, 18:15

So things are still moving on this, slow but its going. Got the interior striped out. Got to see where I can build a small shed or at least a small covered area for my mower, then I can make the the table. more pics to come...

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 08 Dec 2015, 01:09

A lot of the work isn't very exciting or interesting is it! I quite enjoyed stripping down the Alfa 166 and Mazda MX-5 I used as donors - it was interesting (to me anyway) to see how the different thinking was used.

I'm still messing about cleaning rusty donor suspension parts at the moment. Very low-key, I just do a few minutes here & there as time allows.

As a neighbor of mine says, much to the exasperation of his wife....it'll get done....what a great philosophy :)

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 08 Dec 2015, 06:15

Just wait until you guys do the electrical work - stripping out the interior will seem like a lot of fun then!

Your donor car should be able to help with the budget pretty well. Selling the doors, hood and fenders should bring some decent money.

Return to “Builder's diaries”