86SupraGuy's Ecotec based build

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
ChrisS
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: 86SupraGuy's Ecotec based build

Postby ChrisS » 08 Dec 2015, 06:21

Funny you should say that Kurt....I just spent my lunchbreak taking a first look at the absurdly large pile of wires I extracted from the Donor Alfa. I need to use the ECU/engine loom and ideally want to use instruments and light switching etc from it as well. Going to be a challenge, that one.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 08 Dec 2015, 07:17

Definitely get the factory electrical book for the ECU/dash portion of the car.

86supraguy

Postby 86supraguy » 08 Dec 2015, 15:58

Yea thats the plan, I am putting up the car on craigslist tonight to start getting some positive cash flow. Hoping to use that to build a small covered area on the back of the shed to park mowers and open up space inn my modest shed. (15 x 20)

As far as the electrical and things go i have AllData thanks to a friend so if anyone else needs some thing from wiring diagrams or torque specs, i can check to see if there is something in there i can post up.

Side note, I have hooked my brother on building one so i might be building two, if he can get a place to build at my parents house.

86supraguy

Postby 86supraguy » 13 Jan 2016, 11:30

Brother ordered the welder today, got the motor ready to be pulled from the donar. The interior is stripped and body harness removed. Once i pull the motor i will be able to remove engine harness including all the fuse boxes and sensors. Well at least i can get started on construction instead of deconstruction. Pics to come....
Last edited by 86supraguy on 28 Feb 2016, 05:45, edited 1 time in total.

freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Postby freakynami » 13 Jan 2016, 11:37

I found the deconstruction pretty fun too :)
I also found a label printer worked neater than masking tape and pen for marking all the electrics as I disconnected each plug...

86supraguy

Postby 86supraguy » 25 Jan 2016, 08:08

it been a busy few weeks and finally got some pictures. Image my son was helping me take the donor apart and then wanted to fix his bike. Have to teach him young lol.

Some pictures of the donor and motor and tranny Image

Got the build table started and finished. Due to the small size of my shed,15x15 I decided to make my table a 4x10 also instead of MDF I used Plywood. Since I am in Florida I have to deal with a lot of humidity in this little shed and didnt want to paint the table and be welding on paint. Also I used Pressure treated 2x6 so should be plenty stiff and flat, have to remember we are not building a rocket or airplane, a 1/16" or 1/8" is not going to completely ruin it.

Also I know I need to clean up the wiring for the lights will do that this week along this flipping the table over so the flat side is up. Welder came in this week too, so I have been practicing with that. I got the AHP Alpha TIG 200x 2016 Version also know as version 4 I think. Its great little machine just need to work on my technique. My younger brother is a Machinist's apprentice and has been welding for 4 years. so free classes for me :D

Also on my list of thins i need to do, is find a place to park my lawn equipment, get some steel to make a proper stand for the build table, and tidey up and throw out a bunch of crap i dont need so i have some more room. its going to be a busy week. will update again soon.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 25 Jan 2016, 08:27

Good times!

86supraguy

Postby 86supraguy » 26 Feb 2016, 18:32

Got the motor and the last of the harness out the table stand built, got a decent saw to cut the steel. Now its time to get some chips flying and start creating something magical.

this is the spare motor and the manual tranny.

the stand i welded up. plenty strong to hold 1500 lbs.

moging the table to its final position. at least for now.

got the good motor on the table and but the flywheel on it. I painted the thing to prevent rust. i will strip it all off before i but the clutch on it.

a few shots of things as I was working on it
and of course my little helper.

86supraguy

Postby 86supraguy » 26 Feb 2016, 18:36

My brother came over on Wednesday and we started cutting up some of the tubes and tacking them together.

freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Postby freakynami » 26 Feb 2016, 19:02

Looking good, this is the fun part, seeing it growing out of the build table :)

Return to “Builder's diaries”