dpkilty's EJ25 powered build log

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
dpkilty
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: dpkilty's EJ25 powered build log

Postby dpkilty » 15 Sep 2014, 09:24

big_wasa wrote:it was the five speed that let my newage Impreza down.

The 5 speeds can run the stronger LGT gears and with the added "blast plates" to the sides, they can handle a fair amount of abuse in AWD form. But yes in stock trim the are fairly weak for the most part.

After spending most of the morning researching 818 forums and other sites, I may have been a little off in my quick judgment to dismiss the auto. It looks like the 5 speeds aren't much shorter after the conversion like some sites lead you to believe.

I know I am going to have a bunch of transmission hanging out the rear behind the axle but I am trying to limit it as much as I can.

I may be able to use it yet!

freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Postby freakynami » 15 Sep 2014, 16:33

dpkilty wrote:The subagears one is pretty interesting as well

Cool, I like the locost approach of taking to a gearbox housing with a 9" grinder rather than spending $$$ on a billet plate for the same result (I am being serious). But they do the billet plate too if you want! Win :)

dpkilty

Postby dpkilty » 15 Sep 2014, 18:16

Thanks to some 818 forum research, I can get the auto down to the same length as the 5 speed. All for next to no cost to me too boot. Problem is that is still pretty long. I was looking at the wrong numbers when I was doing initial research... :oops:

So I am going to have to extend the car aft quite a bit no matter what option I choose. So I might as well try to make this auto work. Problem now may be canbus issues... If its not one thing its another. :lol:

Also I need to figure out if the TCU can handle not having a functioning rear speed sensor or not. If not I can shave about 5 more inches off the back end. But if I do I also need to see what that will do to the line pressure of the trans fluid that goes back to that part of the center diff... :sigh:

WickedOne

Postby WickedOne » 15 Sep 2014, 19:31

freakynami wrote:
dpkilty wrote:The subagears one is pretty interesting as well

Cool, I like the locost approach of taking to a gearbox housing with a 9" grinder rather than spending $$$ on a billet plate for the same result (I am being serious). But they do the billet plate too if you want! Win :)

This one? $2,200?!!!! YIKES!

dpkilty

Postby dpkilty » 29 Oct 2014, 06:07

Slow progress, but its better than nothing:

Scored a 95 Miata front subframe complete with hubs, suspension, and steering rack for the whopping price of...... FREE!

Its missing brake components (rotors for sure, calipers may be there) but I can't pass up this deal. :D

Hopefully I can get the last couple pieces I need before too long, and I can start ordering metal.

dpkilty

Postby dpkilty » 30 Mar 2015, 13:32

While doing more and more research for my build, I have found that factory Subaru track widths range from 59" to 60.2" for the various models that came with my transmission.

The rear track width is 60" for the "book" version.

This leads me to thinking about saving a few dollars on custom axles and trying my hand at some custom rear hubs... And this is all just thinking right now...

If I can get a good accurate drawing for a Miata hub I can make a custom hub with the same pickup points as the Miata that will accept the Subaru wheel bearing. This may be a tall order but to me its worth looking into at least for right now.

freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Postby freakynami » 30 Mar 2015, 18:09

Here is the Miata rear upright in CAD:

https://grabcad.com/library/mazda-mx5-miata-rear-upright it looks right, but until I get mine I can't verify...

dpkilty

Postby dpkilty » 31 Mar 2015, 06:44

Thanks Freaky,

I had that same model but you I am just curious how accurate it really is...

dpkilty

Postby dpkilty » 07 May 2015, 04:19

Small update...

Acquired a bunch of wiring for the car this past weekend. One full body harness including bulkhead, engine, gauges, and DBW pedal. And another box with an engine harness, most of a bulkhead, and about 50% of the rest of the body harness. The complete one is out of a manual car and the other from an auto. Between the two I shouldn't have any problem with wiring or finding connectors.

Granted I still need to lengthen or shorten wires to make everything fit well. I'll likely use the connectors and just re-pin everything and make a new wiring harness. I just wanted a few connectors for the DBW pedal and a couple other things. I figured it can't hurt to have some extra stuff laying around for the build. Oh and I got it all for the amazing price of $free$ since I had an old set of wheels to trade that I didn't need anymore.

dpkilty

Postby dpkilty » 11 May 2015, 13:10

Another piece of the puzzle acquired!

Steering column from a Miata. Now I just need a quick release hub and steering wheel and that is all done.

Its the little things that keep you going during a build like this...

Return to “Builder's diaries”