dpkilty's EJ25 powered build log

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
dpkilty
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

dpkilty's EJ25 powered build log

Postby dpkilty » 13 Mar 2014, 20:09

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Yeah you read the title right.... I plan on using a Subaru EJ205 to power my Midlana build.

But Massah Kurt say not to use such a motor in Midlana!

I say its worth a shot right? I mean I have been around Subaru's for a few years and I am fairly well versed in them. Why learn a whole new platform while I am building a car? Obviously its not impossible to run a Subaru motor in the wrong end of the car... I mean look at the 818.

I love the EJ's and their mad horsetorques. Its not very hard to hit not only 300 hp, but 300 ft/lbs of torque to go with it. :twisted:

So I will be making a few modifications to the chassis to make the drivetrain fit correctly, but that isn't all...

This will be mostly a street driven car. As much as I want to take it out and autocross it or spend days at the track, that most likely won't happen.

So here is my list of want's/dreams/gonna try things:
Roof (removable would be nice, but still unsure at this point)
Doors (or at least something that kind of resembles doors to make it easier to get in and out)
Rear engine cover treatment (may have a sloping rear glass, again not sure about this)
Radio (hopefully this car will take a few road trips and it will need some sort of tunes for those long drives... not like I will be able to hear much over the engine anyway)

I am another CAD guy so I too will be chronicling my build in Solidworks first.

Also I am setting up a blog to track my progress of this endeavor. Once I get it set up I will share the link here. :D
Last edited by dpkilty on 03 Jul 2014, 06:21, edited 1 time in total.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Re: dpkilty's EJ20 powered build log

Postby Midlana1 » 13 Mar 2014, 21:40

I didn't say don't do it; I said that it'll make the back end of the car look a lot different. If you can pull it off and retain a good look, all the better!

freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Postby freakynami » 14 Mar 2014, 00:56

Awesome, and welcome to the build logs :)
I've been seeing your musings around the traps here, and will be following this build with interest - especially with the SolidWorks...
I notice you went the option on the windscreen hoop / roll tubes - I bet that was simpler to assemble in CAD ;)

dpkilty

Postby dpkilty » 14 Mar 2014, 05:50

Midlana1 wrote:I didn't say don't do it; I said that it'll make the back end of the car look a lot different. If you can pull it off and retain a good look, all the better!

Well I will give you that... You never did say not to use it. No hard feelings here. :)

freakynami wrote:Awesome, and welcome to the build logs :)
I've been seeing your musings around the traps here, and will be following this build with interest - especially with the SolidWorks...
I notice you went the option on the windscreen hoop / roll tubes - I bet that was simpler to assemble in CAD ;)

It was much easier to assemble in CAD and hopefully will be easier to build. Also I am hoping to use the tubes on each side of the roof for some sort of door sill type thingymajig.... once I get further along in the design hopefully it works out.

I have been following your virtual build (and looking back at it while modeling mine to see just how you did it). My biggest hurdle is going to be getting a GOOD accurate model of the motor and transaxle. I can do it, it will just add a LOT more time to the design process.

Oh and just in case you guys don't know a lot about the motor, its going to be a 2.1L stroker :twisted: which was half the reason I even started a build in the first place. I will most likely go into a bit more depth with the whole motor build than most guys around here just because I am doing this log on a couple sites.

bgkast

Postby bgkast » 14 Mar 2014, 09:49

dpkilty wrote:
freakynami wrote:Awesome, and welcome to the build logs :)

It was much easier to assemble in CAD and hopefully will be easier to build. Also I am hoping to use the tubes on each side of the roof for some sort of door sill type thingymajig.... once I get further along in the design hopefully it works out.

It will definitely be easier to build. You probably want to consider moving your upper diagonal point to match the other tubes up there. Several tubes intersecting at a node is preferential, even if it is harder to build.

dpkilty

Postby dpkilty » 21 Mar 2014, 09:12

Putting this here as a reference...

http://www.mckinneycorp.com/

Literally stumbled over this place online. They do work with Top Fuel teams all over America. I have not asked them about fabbing up a gas tank yet though.

They do have a pretty large selection of fabrication goods (ie tube ends). I drive by the shop about once a week and never knew they did everything they do. I do have contact info for a couple guys there if anybody needs more info about them or their products. I don't want to post his email for the world to see just in case. Message me and I can get it to anybody who wants it.

I have no other affiliation with them other than they are a local shop, just thought it would be helpful to some out there.

dpkilty

Postby dpkilty » 21 Mar 2014, 10:51

Got a LITTLE more done.

A few of the tubes in the chassis are going to be tweaked a bit placement wise. Right now they are just placeholders until I decide what I am going to do body wise...

On to the fun:

dpkilty

Postby dpkilty » 04 Apr 2014, 20:06

Been busy with work and getting the side "business" going lately so not a lot has been done other than thinking (and dreaming) about this.

One question I still have is a common question that is asked by all (and sort of answered in another thread on here)

How much power is too much? As my parts pile sits for the motor I can easily reach 400-450 whp at full boost at 3500-4000 rpm. However full boost will be 28-30 psi...

It may not be the best turbo setup for a small light weight car, but with the rear weight bias it may be able to handle the power. I can always lower boost and hit 350-375 whp if I have issues with traction I guess...

jaxmadine

Postby jaxmadine » 05 Apr 2014, 18:41

Is that all they make on 30 lbs? I dont know much about scoobues, but 30 lbs should be over 500....

dpkilty

Postby dpkilty » 06 Apr 2014, 15:07

By that point, the limiting factor is fueling. My injectors would be nearly maxed out. I don't want to spend $800 on injectors when I only have $100 in the motor/parts right now. According to my tuner its possible for me to hit the 500 whp mark, but so many systems would be at or near max the life of the motor might be in question.

Odd things happen at high boost in Subies. Being open deck and horizontal layout they aren't really built to handle much over 25-28 psi without a few modifications.

Return to “Builder's diaries”