TeamKill's build...

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Re: TeamKill's build...

Postby freakynami » 13 Oct 2014, 23:58

Awesome, sounds like a solid donor and a good find :)

Now you can start tracking down the books for that engine and vehicle to assist with the winter project ;)

TeamKill
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Postby TeamKill » 23 Oct 2014, 19:44

A tree blew over and cost me most of my cash to have it removed. So working on cheaper parts for a while till the warm comes back. Just posting this to update the build. Most of the pictures are just in the album linked in the first post.

freakynami

Postby freakynami » 24 Oct 2014, 03:46

Bad news about the tree, been there, had those annoying financial diversions, it's never fun :(

I keep forgetting to check in on the album, looks like steady progress, the frame is looking quite a long way along :) Looks like there is plenty to go on with while the finances rebuild...

TeamKill

Postby TeamKill » 12 Mar 2015, 07:33

Shameless Self Bump

After the long terribly cold winter with record snow fall, hope gleams in the forecast of Mid 40's :D

Long story short I didn't do anything worth while. I took on some side jobs to raise money for the project, including welding a full cage for a friend in the local drift scene. I'll post a few pics of how that goes in April. But for now, I finally ordered the rest of my rod ends, and they finally shipped. Goal is suspension on and rolling by the end of June.

TeamKill

Postby TeamKill » 28 May 2015, 09:34

shameless bump. Fabricating tabs for front suspension this weekend. I got side tracked for the month of May by installing a Roll cage for a friend who drifts a 240. He designed it I just had to weld (and partially fabricate) it.

Has anyone ever tried just using a polyurethane bushing instead of a spherical bearing in the rear spindles? I'd just prefer to use off the shelf parts where possible.

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » 29 May 2015, 01:22

No shame in a bump to show some progress!!

I'm sure Kurt will be along presently, but IIRC he did have issues with the OEM rear upright top bush allowing movement and contact between upright and A arm, hence the use of the spherical bearing. I'd think a 'top hat' style poly bush in that location would work OK, with suitable mods to the upper arm to accommodate the extra width of the assembly.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 29 May 2015, 06:37

Another approach is to modify the rear upper A-arm to clock the outboard bracket slightly so that it lines up better with the upright. As-designed, it's a few degrees off which allows unintended contact. Or, as you proposed, flanged bushings will certainly deal with the offset as well. Keep in mind that the OEM bushings are molded in-place so removing them is a pain. I guess I need to look into modifying the upper A-arm drawing.

bgkast

Postby bgkast » 29 May 2015, 14:34

Midlana1 wrote:Another approach is to modify the rear upper A-arm to clock the outboard bracket slightly so that it lines up better with the upright. As-designed, it's a few degrees off which allows unintended contact. Or, as you proposed, flanged bushings will certainly deal with the offset as well. Keep in mind that the OEM bushings are molded in-place so removing them is a pain. I guess I need to look into modifying the upper A-arm drawing.

Any more info you could provide would be great, I'm just about to fab up this part. I was planning to try the stock bushing before going to something else.

Thanks Kurt!

freakynami

Postby freakynami » 18 Jun 2015, 00:00

Midlana1 wrote:Another approach is to modify the rear upper A-arm to clock the outboard bracket slightly so that it lines up better with the upright. As-designed, it's a few degrees off which allows unintended contact. Or, as you proposed, flanged bushings will certainly deal with the offset as well. Keep in mind that the OEM bushings are molded in-place so removing them is a pain. I guess I need to look into modifying the upper A-arm drawing.

Here here! In my CAD it lines up perfectly, I'm interested to know what you mean by clocking things around, looking back at your diary from when you changed from the rubber to the spherical it isn't clear...

freakynami

Postby freakynami » 18 Jun 2015, 02:46

Return to “Builder's diaries”