Beefy's Midlana Build

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
b33fy
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Beefy's Midlana Build

Postby b33fy » 11 Jan 2014, 16:19

Thought I'd start a build thread here and see how far I get, hopefully to the end eventually. I'm Mike and based in the UK, a mental health nurse by trade and not from a technical background, so apologies if I don't get it right sometimes. Always been a car nut, up till recently a latent petrol head, but decided I was bored with the pub and there were other ways to empty your wallet. I built a V-Storm and recently sold it, won't go into detail but it was more trouble than it was worth. Anyhow I have been following Kurts build for some time and have decide to bite the bullet and build one.

So far I've sourced a few parts, bought a welder to teach myself to weld. and am assembling an engine ready to build the chassis round. The engine is a 2.0 Ford/Mazda Duratec which is also used in caterhams and other cars, its well supported, with upgrades available. I was just going to put throttle bodies and a cam on it to get around 200bhp, but caught a bit of upgradius and its now being fully forged with a supercharger strapped on. I'm mating it to a Mazda 3 MPS 6 speed box with a lsd. Quite a heavy gearbox but gearing is better than the standard 5 speed out of the fiesta ST150 the engine came from.

Other plans are big big brakes, hoping to source some brembos's from a porsche of some description, the V-Storm brakes as supplied from the factory were terrible, so want to avoid that. It will have an extra water pump as per Kurts again to avoid cooling problems experienced with the Storm. I'll probably go for the inboard suspension, might have a play with the back suspension as well and convert to pull or push rod.

A couple of images below of engine bits

I've also been drawing up a few parts to get professionaly cut
Last edited by b33fy on 14 Jan 2014, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.

bgkast

Re: Beefy's Midlana Buid

Postby bgkast » 11 Jan 2014, 16:48

I'm excited to see a duratec build, that was my second engine choice. Welcome!

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 11 Jan 2014, 17:39

Welcome, and don't be too hard on yourself about finishing - you have several here who will be happy to answer questions.

The single most important thing I've learned from building cars is to have the non-negotiable parts on the build table before you start welding. That means: pedals, steering rack, steering wheel, seat, and engine. Basically, all the metal is there to keep these key items in place. Without having these parts on hand, it means you're guessing on their size, which is made worse due to the lack of accurate dimensions. There's no substitute for having the parts you're going to use sitting right there - only that way do you KNOW that they'll fit.

And yes, the horsepower thing is a very slippery slope. I'd look at it in reverse. At what dollar value will blowing up the engine make you really sad - that's the budget. Unfortunately, I'm over that limit :(

'Course, just today I ran my car on a dyno again and at 7500 rpm, was making "only" 320 whp (I'll post more on this on my website). Anyhow, that seems low to me, so I can't help but start looking into why that might be so, and what I can do about it...

Yes, a slippery slope indeed...

roy928tt

Postby roy928tt » 12 Jan 2014, 11:27

If you are drawing up things to get them cut, perhaps we need to set up a library for such files? As I have also commissioned a friend to draw up all of the flat brackets to get laser cut ! He is not having fun with the task, being he is having to convert to metric as he does it.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » 12 Jan 2014, 15:14

roy928tt wrote:If you are drawing up things to get them cut, perhaps we need to set up a library for such files? As I have also commissioned a friend to draw up all of the flat brackets to get laser cut ! He is not having fun with the task, being he is having to convert to metric as he does it.

Hi Roy thanks for posting in my build thread, nice idea about the drawings, I've sent you a pm. :)

MIke

b33fy

Re: Beefy's Midlana Build

Postby b33fy » 14 Jan 2014, 14:27

A few bits turned up for the engine today, so started putting the bottom end together. Fitted standard main mearings standard crank, heavy duty oil pump, and ARP main bearing studs, plus loads of assembly grease.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » 15 Jan 2014, 13:00

A few more shiny bits fitted, pistons in and big ends torqued up.

The raceline sump is a work of art unfortunately it doesn't fit with the heavy duty oil pump, which was orginaly for a 2.3, so pump has to go back and I'll have to get another. :roll:

bgkast

Postby bgkast » 15 Jan 2014, 17:06

Looking good!

Langan

Postby Langan » 15 Jan 2014, 17:48

Even looks light weight. Nice and clean.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » 19 Jan 2014, 15:26

Acquirred a plenum from a Caterham R400 along with a 70mm throttle body, saves a lot of aggro making a plenum, should work ok with the supercharger, and help greatly with determining the final postioning of the engine in the chassis. Gave it it bit of a makeover as below:

Before

After

Return to “Builder's diaries”