Bryan Kast's Build

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
ChrisS
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Bryan Kast's Build

Postby ChrisS » 15 May 2015, 08:19

Ah, thanks Kurt - I recall reading that line but didn't work out the application! I may adapt the upper mount for a horizontal bolt and point it along the arm as you suggest in the book anyway, but it would still benefit from a brace of course. To be sure to be sure......

bgkast

Postby bgkast » 19 May 2015, 10:38

I will have to re-read that section of the book. Yes, any reinforcement will make paneling more difficult. I believe my last thought on the subject was that particular suspension point is less loaded than originally thought. Under braking the forces will be trying to push the wheel backward relative to the chassis, with the upper and lower arms resisting this force and loading the rear suspension points. At the same time the upright is being torqued by braking trying to rotate in the direction the wheel is spinning and loading the upper rear bracket in the direction of travel. These forces act together and somewhat cancel each other out at that upper rear suspension point.

bgkast

Postby bgkast » 29 May 2015, 14:52

I discovered that I had not been paying attention to the orientation of the U joints when making the intermediate shaft, and had them 90-degrees out of phase, so I re-did the shaft and welded it all up.

bgkast

Postby bgkast » 29 Jul 2015, 09:52

OK, this build has languished long enough. I got distracted by another project for a bit there, turning this into a reliable driver:

That's right, a whole Saab for $50. Keys and title not included. A bit of welding on a new bumper support, new key and security module, new fuel pump, re-built axles, new window regulator and a lot of paperwork for the lost title and it's a good running car and legally in my name. :D

Back to the Midlana!

I got some Advance Racing Shocks and some springs in trade from a buddy on the GRM forum. I traded some Blingy 19" BMW wheels I pulled from the scrap bin for them, so they cost me exactly $0. :D They look to be single adjustable units, and have a schrader valve that you can gas-charge them through. They are about 1" longer than the book recommended shocks at 19.5" extended and 13.5" compressed. Last night I mocked them up with the front suspension. Here is the book value of 1" of droop:

And 3" of bump:

Since the shocks are a bit longer than the book shocks I am thinking I will set them up to be slightly compressed to the 18.25" spec in the book so that I can switch to a shorter shock in the future if these don't work for me. At full compression I still have plenty of travel and room for a bump stop, so I am OK there, but I will have some extra droop with this arrangement. How much I can't say for sure right now because the table is in the way to let the A arm down anymore and I am far too lazy to do the geometry. :lol: I estimate another inch or so. Any harm in this arrangement?

Next steps are to fix the band saw that has been broken for months and get going on the rear suspension.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 29 Jul 2015, 11:17

No harm; like you said, they can be made to work by offsetting the upper mounting points.

Not much droop is needed because once the spring expands to full length, anything more and it'll either rattle around loose or the shock's reached full length. Expect a unsprung front corner weight to be "about" 250 pounds and back-calculate from there. As noted in the book, the required spring rate will be fairly high due to how much the shocks are leaned over.

[edit] Keep an eye on possible interference due to the lean angle, especially under full bump and when turning.

bgkast

Postby bgkast » 29 Jul 2015, 11:34

I think tender springs will be a requirement. Looking at the recommended ride height of these shocks (in the 15-16" range) it may be better for the shocks to run them with a bit more droop anyway.

turboswede

Postby turboswede » 25 Nov 2016, 14:36

How goes the build?

bgkast

Postby bgkast » 01 Dec 2016, 18:23

Slowly, but I'm still alive. A new position at work with extra hours, combined with kids (and foster kids) has hindered this project. We are moving to within walking distance of my work in a few weeks, and I am planning to use my former commute time to get back at the project.

My build table won't be making the move as I am done with that stage of the construction if anyone wants it.

Langan

Postby Langan » 18 Sep 2017, 08:53

Have not looked at your build in awhile. Looks great you are doing such a fantastic job.

Castrol

Postby Castrol » 28 May 2018, 14:25

Any word on the build? I was locked into you build and then it stopped...

Return to “Builder's diaries”