Kurt Bilinski's build

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
steveo
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Kurt Bilinski's build

Post by steveo » 23 Aug 2016, 03:38

I vote Snorkus!

Get yourself some flares, a lovely bottle a Brut, sunglasses, chest wig, wide collar flowered shirt and blast your way back to the 70's!

Anyway you can fit an 8 Track in there?????

:lol:

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 23 Aug 2016, 09:10

Just wait until you get to the point where styling comes into play! You'll find all sorts of advice coming in from left and right on how you should be spending your time and money!

steveo

Post by steveo » 24 Aug 2016, 02:16

I'm more worried about people dying laughing at my welding. If I get to the point where people are critiquing my styling I will deem that a major success!

However, I shouldn't laugh too much as I was thinking of some kind of scoop such as yours, although maybe not quite so extreme! Thinking two smaller scoops behind the drivers and passengers head (more current F1 like) one for the air inlet and the other for the intercooler and general engine bay flow. As everyone's pointed out though with the screen in place the flow may not be that good.

This months Motorsport has a lengthy set of articles on the CANAM cars of the late 60s/early 70s and the Chaparral 2E caught my attention with the scoops sitting on top of the rear wings. Nicely out in the clear air flow and interesting styling.

http://bright-cars.com/photo/chaparral- ... fault.html

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 24 Aug 2016, 04:56

Another possibility maybe, the Lancia Montecarlo (Scorpion in the US) was a transverse mid engine car and had a duct running underneath from the the middle of the front bumper for engine cooling air. No idea if it's feasible on Midlana, mainly due to ground clearance I'd think, but that could possibly provide a decent amount of flow very discretely.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 24 Aug 2016, 08:38

Yeah low ground clearance makes that a no-go.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 24 Aug 2016, 09:22

The latest plan* is to run ducting forward to the top edge of the windscreen. As the blog mentions, this may morph into a roof and possibly doors. Since it's a pretty big undertaking, the plan is to develop it on the side while still driving and enjoying the car. In the meantime, if the car goes to the track, perhaps Snorkus will make a reappearance! Either way, I think I'm going to run separate ductwork from the air filter to the old intercooler side vent. This is because physical placement of the parts involved doesn't lend itself well to borrowing flow from the above snorkel.

*From time to time I go back and read my old posts and am surprised how many times I've made decisions that at the time seemed reasonable, but are regularly tossed out for one reason or another.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » 24 Aug 2016, 09:45

Midlana1 wrote:Yeah low ground clearance makes that a no-go.
I expected that would be the case really, but never hurts to speak up.

I recall driving my Monte Carlo one winters day with a fair bit of snow the roads (for the UK at least). I had no bother with traction but the steering was a bit light....then as I progressed down the road it got lighter and lighter until it didn't work at all. I jumped out and discovered that the duct in question had snow packed under it far enough back and high enough to lift the front wheels off the ground.

freakynami
Anti-spam question: 0
Are you a spammer: Yes

Post by freakynami » 25 Aug 2016, 00:42

Looking forward to seeing where your thoughts and trials take you on this, if I ever turbo mine it will be a similar issue...

ShadowCat38

Post by ShadowCat38 » 25 Aug 2016, 10:03

freakynami wrote:Looking forward to seeing where your thoughts and trials take you on this, if I ever turbo mine it will be a similar issue...
Same here. I intend to add a turbocharger to my 2.0L Ford Zetec, so I'll no doubt be paying close attention to how your solution works, whichever way you decide to go.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 03 Oct 2016, 10:36

While the Midlana blog is always kept up to date, I keep forgetting about this one. In short, the intercooler ducting is a big project time-wise and overdesigned as I tend to do, but as mentioned, this may well turn into having doors attached to it, so it's not wasted effort. Here's a sample of where things are: