Kurt Bilinski's build

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Kurt Bilinski's build

Post by Midlana1 » 25 Nov 2009, 18:38

Fuel system is in, enough to run hoses to a container of gas.

Cranked the engine without plugs and built oil pressure.

Checking out the elecrical subsystems now - finding another omitted wire. Looking promising for Saturday or Sunday.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 26 Nov 2009, 17:40

Beta-builder Jim found a possible issue in the front suspension arms :cry: I'll have to check it out; I apologized to him for wasting his time, but that's what can happen when building ahead of the designer... I'm not there to fix the screw-up before others see it... Eh, don't worry, that's what beta-builders are for, so that the book is free of such indiscretions...

Langan

Post by Langan » 27 Nov 2009, 10:48

There is no problems that is for sure yet. I am making the arms based on how I read the instruction. I could have them completly wrong untill Kurt builds his and I finnish with mine who knows. This is my job. It's a fun one too.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 28 Nov 2009, 16:36

It started on the first try! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al3kadX5GzE

This was with no cheating; no "pre-start" before the video to ensure success. Notice how the left rear wheel starts turning, which I had no idea of since it was behind the engine where I couldn't see it. Good thing it wasn't spinning faster, seeing as how there are no A-arms to keep it from flailing around...

MaxN

Post by MaxN » 28 Nov 2009, 21:02

Congratulations !

Yet another milestone reached......

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 29 Nov 2009, 21:02

Next will be solving front shock placement. Inboard shocks are more work and expense, but if that's what it takes for a proper solution, so be it.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 01 Dec 2009, 06:51

Went out and stared at the front suspension of a while. There are three places in-board shocks can mount: vertically inside the radiator exhaust ducts; transversely, with the base of the shocks meeting on chassis centerline; and, longitudinally along the outboard side rails. The last seems most likely, though it means passing the shock body through the ductwork and allowing warm air into the storage area... we'll see how that sorts itself.

Both solutions will be offered in the book, the traditional outboard layout, and the sexy but more PITA inboard setup; builders can pick which way they want to go.

Karlo

Post by Karlo » 01 Dec 2009, 18:55

Kurt

When you were designing the Midlana, did you plan for both shock placements?

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 01 Dec 2009, 20:57

No, but it turns out it wouldn't be different enough to matter, meaning there's already a couple good spots for the bellcrank pivot.

The thing people who are in love with inboard suspension don't realize is the cost. Using two good quality needle bearings for each bellcrank, and two more rod-ends for both sides, it'll be another $300-400 easy. This can turn into a case of "be careful what you wish for" sort of thing :?

justin.s.gray

Post by justin.s.gray » 02 Dec 2009, 06:25

Forgive my ignorance, but don't shocks need some airflow to help cool them down? They work by using friction to sop up spring energy, and that means heat. Did you plan for enough airflow around them if they are inboard? Is that why they would go into the radiator duct?

Carol Smith says in "Tune to win" that the reason to put them inboard is for aerodynamics. It seems to me that the aero on this car is already plenty bad, so does it really matter?