Kurt Bilinski's build

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Kurt Bilinski's build

Post by Midlana1 » 22 Nov 2009, 19:35

As a kid, maybe his dad didn't let him put playing cards in the spokes of his bike wheels. Now he's showing him!

MaxN

Post by MaxN » 22 Nov 2009, 20:07

Midlana1 wrote:Picked up Earl's plumbing parts for the remote oil filter assembly, in anticipation of starting the car in the not too distant future.

While in the store, a guy was talking to the clerk about his NOS purge plumbing, mentioning he was going to add LEDs to light up the spray as it shoots up the windshield... :roll: Whatever...
reminds me of this guy

RoadRaceJosh

Post by RoadRaceJosh » 23 Nov 2009, 01:34

I'd like to start a poll. Kurt, please don't take this the wrong way. How long (how many track events actually) before Midlana gets an oil cooler?

Joshua

jerelw

Post by jerelw » 23 Nov 2009, 04:44

If I read Kurt's latest post correctly, it will be before the car is finished. He already knows where he wants to put it.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 23 Nov 2009, 08:04

RoadRaceJosh wrote:I'd like to start a poll. Kurt, please don't take this the wrong way. How long (how many track events actually) before Midlana gets an oil cooler?

Joshua
The present plan is to run one event to establish a baseline. If oil temperature stays below 230 F or so, why have unnecessary parts, cost, and weight?

Whether you need one depends very much on how the car's treated. The Acura RSX-S has an integral oil-to-coolant cooler built into the base of the filter mount that I wanted to use. However, people want as much money for the adaptor as just using a traditional oil-to-air exchanger, which is much better at rejecting heat.

I flip-flop on the issue. Since there is a small chance that it'll run hot at the first event, I might just add one right off to avoid any issues.

Langan

Post by Langan » 23 Nov 2009, 09:44

I like were you mounted the filters. I am going to use the factory water cooled cooler and the remote filters. Like you I like the air style cooler better makes more sence,but I have a factory one and will try first. I think it will be fine car is lighter and NA not turbo ed yet.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 23 Nov 2009, 19:26

Installed the fuel injectors, modified the connectors, found another wire omission.

Tacked in mounting brackets for the remote oil filter and fuel pressure regulator. Both need gussets due to the weight of the hoses potentially torquing the brackets and work-hardening them. Have to pick up some more plumbing parts before they close for the long weekend.

There's an aweful lot left to do, not sure I'll make it by Sunday - and Thursday and Friday are family days, leaving only four more days. We'll see.

justin.s.gray

Post by justin.s.gray » 23 Nov 2009, 19:34

The 1.8 Miata have a similar oil-coolant heat exchanger that fits inbetween the oil filter and the block. I am sure you can get one ubercheap from either planet-miata.com or panicmotorsports.com/. Panic gave me great prices on a throttle body, motor mounts, and and oil pan for my 1.8 swap that I am doing this winter! I really liked their customer service too!

For my street-autocross driving, i actually like the oil-coolant heat exchangers because they heat the oil up a little faster. For a track, I think Kurt has the right plan. Try it without an oil cooler. If one is needed, air to oil will do the best job under track conditions.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 23 Nov 2009, 21:50

Yeah Panic Motorsports is on my short list of highly-recommended vendors.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Post by Midlana1 » 24 Nov 2009, 20:08

Mounted the intake manifold and am taking care of all the unplugged vacuum ports. It won't start with any of those wrong. Fuel pressure regulator and oil filter brackets are in, but not fully-welded.

Thought I had all the fuel plumbing bits, until I saw the fuel filter sitting on the table... Have to get them all no later than tomorrow else the store's closed all weekend.

Removed everything off the exhaust header, so it'll be free to "clear its lungs" and blow whatever loose bits are in there. With the 9:1 compression, it shouldn't be too loud at idle.

Haven't yet fired up the ECU. I have to connect a laptop to the ECU to change the MAP sensor scaling - hope that goes okay. Too early to say if I'll make it this week. Also found out part of tomorrow is "spoken for", so we'll see how far this gets. There's no deadline, it's more of a challenge.