Kurt Bilinski's build

Follow progress of your fellow builders. Pictures encouraged!
Midlana1
Site Admin
Anti-spam question: 4
Are you a spammer: No

Re: Kurt Bilinski's build

Postby Midlana1 » 13 Jun 2018, 14:04

To finish my mini-rant on this, Full-Race finally replied, stating that:
...Inconel is a brand name and Incoloy A286 is a high nickel high chromium and high molybdenum content austenitic steel with excellent elevated temp resistance. These are all 100% supplied by Borg Warner turbo systems and rated for use with the EFR turbos....

I'm sure Inconel is a brand, but that isn't a strike against it. From my reading, Inconel contains >50% nickel and Incoloy contains <50%, so they aren't the same. Does the difference matter for turbocharger mounting studs? I don't know, but because Mazda chose Inconel studs for mounting their turbochargers, they obviously thought it was worth it, so that's what I ordered. I work in aviation and guess what our turbo manifold studs are made of? They aren't Incoloy. The Full-Race parts will be returned for my peace of mind, even though they may work fine for others.

rennkafer

Postby rennkafer » 13 Jun 2018, 19:24

The reason I was searching through MT.net when I starting looking into this was there was some discussion of different alloys, I couldn't find the thread (this was all 7ish years back) but I remember Andrew being pretty cagey about which alloy he ended up choosing. I'm pretty certain it wasn't A286 (which I remember being mentioned) because he thought it wouldn't work. One of the things he tried to match was the expansion rate of the manifold and turbo housings to the stud material which took a fair bit of research.

With luck the RX7 studs work great, I don't recall ever hearing about them having turbos come loose (now apex seals are another story altogether).
Bill J

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 12 Aug 2018, 14:51

Finally drove Midlana - I'd put it off due to the very warm and humid weather we've been having for these many weeks. It was just a drive to have lunch with my mom, brother, and sister. The drive was fine... as long as I didn't have to stop, but this being SoCal, there was plenty of that. Ugh, as I type this an hour after getting home, I'm still waiting to cool off.

Oh, fun side story. After pulling into the restaurant parking lot and getting out, I got surrounded by 5-6 local sheriffs who had just finished lunch. They asked all sorts of questions about the car which I was happy to answer. I said "I'm so glad to meet you officers in this situation rather than any other", to which they laughed. They said if I get pulled over by one of them, it's probably because they want to ask about the car. On the other hand, one said, if I get pulled over by the CHP (our state police), that might be a different story! Noted.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 03 Sep 2018, 17:15

As vaguely referred to on the Midlana website, I'm considering a driving event (not a track event!) which is scheduled for mid-October. The problem is that the organizer hasn't said whether it's actually going to happen this year. About a month ago, they encouraged everyone to send in an "I'm in" email so that they could pitch a big list of participants to the county where this is held - so I did. One would think they'd be keeping us regularly updated on what's going on, but it's just crickets. Given that it's only 5 weeks from now and hearing nothing makes me think it's getting very iffy. Plus, as the time nears, people who scheduled time off will start considering alternatives. At some point, they're likely to say "screw it" and either cancel their vacation or make alternate plans. This means that even if the event is suddenly a "go", it's possible that it'll still get cancelled if their the "guaranteed" number of participants didn't materialize.

Probably like others, my brother and I are wondering what activities we can do if this falls through, more as the time nears. Oh, and why am I not saying what the event is? Because it's pretty cool and I don't want to promise something that's now looking iffy.

Midlana1
Site Admin

Postby Midlana1 » 06 Sep 2018, 14:18

Bah, yeah they canceled the event, which was this: https://www.virginiacityhillclimb.com/

Not sure if we'll do something alternative.

ShadowCat38

Postby ShadowCat38 » 06 Sep 2018, 21:20

That's a big bummer. That looks like a whole lot of fun. Ever since I was introduced to what a hillclimb is with the excitement around the Pike's Peak hill climb near Colorado Springs, I've wanted to try one (although, one with a bit less of a guarantee of life-changing injury if you manage to leave the road).

Return to “Builder's diaries”